Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil Price Rising
10 February 2013, 21:46,
RE: Oil Price Rising
(10 February 2013, 21:29)Scythe13 Wrote:
(9 February 2013, 22:19)Highlander Wrote: Well you guys have a bit to go yet before you get to our £1.63 a ltr for diesel, although we do understand that tankers have to come a long way to get to our fuel stations

Distance has nothing to do with price. It's how much the pump's owners can sell it for.

Motorway services are the ideal example. If you're happily selling 1000 litres a day at £1.50 and making a nice margin, then you will. If there's a station a mile away selling fuel for £1.55, why not increase your price to £1.53? It's only £30 a day more, but you're doing the same thing and getting £210 more profit a week! Same as price drops. Until it's financially viable to reduce the price, why would a petrol station reduce their profit?

Well, that's true enough as well, we have a garage at the end of the line here, who raised his prices during the shortage a while back,..to unforgiving prices, and wasn't too quick to drop them again afterwards either,.. he knew people had no-where else to go within a reasonable distance
A major part of survival is invisibility.
10 February 2013, 21:50,
Spot on HL.

To be fair, I'd do the same thing if I were him. If anyone called me a bad person, I'd go off crying...all the way to the bank!

It's just business.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
10 February 2013, 21:54,
One of the main concerns for people here though is that its the same filling station that people like the coast guard and any other emergency services use to fuel up,... they don't get any special rates,... so you could say its business, or you could say its greed possibly putting lives at risk
10 February 2013, 22:02,
(10 February 2013, 21:54)Highlander Wrote: One of the main concerns for people here though is that its the same filling station that people like the coast guard and any other emergency services use to fuel up,... they don't get any special rates,... so you could say its business, or you could say its greed possibly putting lives at risk
Totally agree. But can't these organisations get extra funding from the gov? I remember Warrington got a load of cash extra for fuel to cover the cost during the shortage (taught some of the police BJJ, and they were telling me about it).
10 February 2013, 22:15,
(10 February 2013, 22:02)Scythe13 Wrote:
(10 February 2013, 21:54)Highlander Wrote: One of the main concerns for people here though is that its the same filling station that people like the coast guard and any other emergency services use to fuel up,... they don't get any special rates,... so you could say its business, or you could say its greed possibly putting lives at risk
Totally agree. But can't these organisations get extra funding from the gov? I remember Warrington got a load of cash extra for fuel to cover the cost during the shortage (taught some of the police BJJ, and they were telling me about it).

I have no idea,.. possibly
10 February 2013, 22:24,
For me, I'd go for the profit still. But maybe would discount the emergency services....but not too much! Still need a profit off them too. After all, 80% of each pound spent goes to tax anyway, so I'm just getting my money bak off them haha.

Tax on fuel is probably more than 80%, but I said 80 as a quick quess.