Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beekeeping
9 May 2013, 16:22,
RE: Beekeeping
Bees are something that are likely to take several years to become competent with. Many beekeepers fail to keep their first colony alive through the winter. The time commitment is low and there's no short cut to experience. For those planning to keep bees in future I'd recommend starting sooner rather than later.
9 May 2013, 20:41,
(9 May 2013, 10:18)clv101 Wrote: Mary, I keep bees, they are great. Did you do your course with a local association? It's great to be involved with an association in the beginning, lots of a advice, equipment to borrow and maybe even free or cheap bees.

Regarding books, the BBKA recently updated their recommended reading list for the modules:
http://www.bbka.org.uk/files/library/boo...832549.pdf
I can personally recommend the Haynes Bee Manual (2011) for great illustrations, Hooper's Guide to Bees and Honey (5th. edition) (2010) - the classic text.

There's also fantastic free and on-line resources at BeeBase: https://secure.fera.defra.gov.uk/beebase...pageid=167 and the Welsh BBKA: http://www.wbka.com/infostation.html

Hi there. I've received some very good info on beekeeping from this Forum, and have now acquired a nice little library of good books. I did do a course run by the local beekeeping society which was very interesting, but I did find the members a bit straight-jacketed. It was all biased in favour of keeping bees for honey and profit; I wish to keep bees to help with my garden, and also because bees in general need help.

I did find a site that sold me a set of plans for constructing top-bar hives, which are the way I want to go. As soon as I can drag the OH away from his current 100 projects (mostly mine, I must say) I shall get him to build me one. I'll post the progress as we go. After that, I shall be looking for the bees, and I'm going to wing it (!) and hope the bees can sort things out without too much interference from me.

Looking forward to the new adventure.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
9 May 2013, 21:23,
do keeping bee for honey impact on the way it would help your garden and the bees?

Just asking as if granulated sugar became scarce then honey would be ideal for an alternate sugar source
9 May 2013, 21:26,
(9 May 2013, 21:23)I-K-E Wrote: do keeping bee for honey impact on the way it would help your garden and the bees?

Just asking as if granulated sugar became scarce then honey would be ideal for an alternate sugar source

I agree, a source of honey would be great if ordinary sugar became scarce. However, I really want to keep bees with as little interference from me as possible. If they have their own supplies of food (honey), then I would not need to feed them sugar to keep them going through winter if things became a bit tough.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
9 May 2013, 21:30,
Something else I need to do a bit of reading about didn't realise about the winter feeding

I guess there must be a balance of what honey can be removed and what amount needs leaving for the winter survival of the bees... as I said more reading need for me
9 October 2013, 07:52, (This post was last modified: 9 October 2013, 07:55 by Lightspeed.)
Spuzzana's comments about beekeeping on the food preservation thread have prompted me to re-evaluate the possibility of keeping bees at the Retreat.

I'd discounted beekeeping being viable for me as my garden is east facing, we have short summers, and very cold winters up here.

That was until a couple of weeks ago when I found a pile of old picture frames in the loft.... They are beekeeping/ honey making prize-winner certificates. The man who lived in our house from 1920s to late 90s was an avid beekeeper.

Curiosity re-awakened this morning, has seen an order for the Ted Hooper book winging its way to Amazon.

QUESTIONS FOR EXPERIENCED BEEKEEPERS:

I would like to keep Bees here at the retreat. But remoteness of its location means that normally our visit frequency will be every two to three weeks.

How labour intensive are bees to keep? Is it possible to set up hives in such a way that three weekly attention will keep them healthy? Until the book arrives, I'm guessing that I'll have to lay on some sort of water /drinking station arrangement?

What time of year is it best to establish a new hive?

Are there specific hive recommendations?

How to over-winter bee colonies in sub zero conditions?

All advice will be appreciated.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

1 November 2013, 10:30,
LS,

I've just noticed this post. Missed it first time around.

I'm just starting myself but here is my understanding.

(9 October 2013, 07:52)Lightspeed Wrote: How labour intensive are bees to keep? Is it possible to set up hives in such a way that three weekly attention will keep them healthy? Until the book arrives, I'm guessing that I'll have to lay on some sort of water /drinking station arrangement?

Not very labour intensive at all. After all they are wild animals and if placed correctly they will look after themselves. It is best if you can provide plenty of water as you don't want them moving out to get a home closer to some. The books say an hour or so every week excluding harvesting the honey and a couple of hours to open and shut the hives at the ends of the seasons. It sounds doable to me.

(9 October 2013, 07:52)Lightspeed Wrote: What time of year is it best to establish a new hive?

They start around April over here. I have no idea what they are where you are.I would establish a full colony though to make sure they get a good start.

(9 October 2013, 07:52)Lightspeed Wrote: Are there specific hive recommendations?

There are several different hive types. Each beekeeper swears by his. I have a Beehaus system which is self contained and easier to manage. Not as much lifting and hefting after the lifting and hefting to get it in place. It uses a common frame set as well.

(9 October 2013, 07:52)Lightspeed Wrote: How to over-winter bee colonies in sub zero conditions?

Overwintering is covered in the books. Just make sure they go into winter with plenty of food and you can help by protecting the hive and keeping it out of freezing winds.

Good luck.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
1 November 2013, 10:51,
Thanks SD

Yes this looks very viable. There is a good deal more to bee keeping than I first imagined, and it is clear that hands on experience is necessary for success in the long term.

Its the same in my area, April/May is best time to start I am told. That gives me the whole winter to get plans sorted and materials needed in place.

Have you started a colony yet, or are you still at the planning stage like me?
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580