Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IF ?
11 February 2013, 18:33,
RE: IF ?
In my earlier post I mentioned that I was thinking of moving further out of the City and into the burbs.

Now I love City life and all the advantages it has to offer,
I have spent my life in various cities across this island and I am very well adapted at surviving in them. I stand a lot more chance of surviving a SHTF scenario by staying in familiar surroundings, The countryside, with all its loveliness would be a f##king death trap for me if I strayed into as part of a mass migration after TSHTF.
I am not an expert in hunting. I am not an expert in trapping. I am not an expert in foraging. I know I can improve on these skills! I will struggle to survive in the country
I am an expert in scavenging. I'm pretty damn good at stealing. I know this city like the back of my hand. I participate in urban exploration and I have caches stored all over this City. I can jack a car. I can drive a JCB and a Big muvva forklift. I can siphon fuel safely. I can be the grey man in any City gang that may invade my neighbourhood. I do not need to improve these skills. I will survive with ease in the City.

I apologise if I kept repeating myself. Did you ever read the story of the country mouse and the City mouse?
Respect existence or expect resistance!
11 February 2013, 18:38,
(11 February 2013, 15:52)bigpaul Wrote:
(10 February 2013, 20:57)Scythe13 Wrote: City life is fun.
when did Taunton become a city??Tongue

It's not. That's why Taunton isn't fun haha.

Bristol is awesome and I loved living there, on East Street, in Bedminster. Awesome place to enjoy. High crime rate, but nobody would mess with a big guy in a black hoodie, hanging out with his mates that are also big guys.

City life is only as good as you make it.

We're currently out of Taunton, in a pretty rural place (I think SD would agree with that, having been here) and as much as I love it....it's a bit boring. Better to drive into town and enjoy being there.

Cities I've lived in: Manchester, Liverpool, Bristol
Best places I've lived: Bristol, Manchester, Warrington (between Manchester and Liverpool).
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
11 February 2013, 18:39,
(11 February 2013, 18:33)Ghost Wrote: In my earlier post I mentioned that I was thinking of moving further out of the City and into the burbs.

I have spent my life in various cities across this island and I am very well adapted at surviving in them. I stand a lot more chance of surviving a SHTF scenario by staying in familiar surroundings, The countryside, with all its loveliness would be a f##king death trap for me if I strayed into as part of a mass migration after TSHTF.
I am not an expert in hunting. I am not an expert in trapping. I am not an expert in foraging. I know I can improve on these skills! I will struggle to survive in the country
I am an expert in scavenging. I'm pretty damn good at stealing. I know this city like the back of my hand. I participate in urban exploration and I have caches stored all over this City. I can jack a car. I can drive a JCB and a Big muvva forklift. I can siphon fuel safely. I can be the grey man in any City gang that may invade my neighbourhood. I do not need to improve these skills. I will survive with ease in the City.

I apologise if I kept repeating myself. Did you ever read the story of the country mouse and the City mouse?

My point is..I don't feel as though I HAVE to move out of the City, but I do want to be closer to an escape route.
11 February 2013, 18:47,
(11 February 2013, 18:33)Ghost Wrote: In my earlier post I mentioned that I was thinking of moving further out of the City and into the burbs.

well good for you, i lived in a city for 43 years but i dont think i would like to be in one WTSHTF, we've all seen the film of the riots last year, some may have seen it up close and personal, well when TSHTF i believe it will be like that but 100 times or 1000 times worse, i consider myself to be very "streetwise" but i'm glad i am where i am. remember that when it does happen no food will be coming into the cities, no fuel deliveries, no power-no electric, no lights, no mains water, no drainage, granted this will also happen in the countryside but there are more people in the city looking for less and less resourses, i really do wish you and others like you the very best of luck, ME? i'm buggering off into the backend of nowhere-never to be seen again!Big GrinBig Grin (have you read any of the posts on shtfschool.?.that guy lived it for real..he's the REAL expert!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
11 February 2013, 18:49,
I think it's best to just stick to how Ghost puts it. Hold on to what you know and survive there.

There are some people that have lived country lives and all they know is that lifestyle. If they came into a city....BOOM, first target for a gang. I know I'd have my eye on them haha.

As Beardy says, it's better for jobs. Even NR admits to being skint for the last 12 years, which shows the plethora of job opportunities.

If you're relatively young and career minded, then a city is an awesome place to live.

Why are the rich city traders moving to the rural areas? Because they can afford to!!!

Better to live and work in a city, then buy a BOL on a plot of land, fully stocked up how you want it, than to live in the rural area, in a situation that's just as dangerous because your house could fall down next time there's an above average breeze!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
11 February 2013, 18:53, (This post was last modified: 11 February 2013, 18:56 by bigpaul.)
(11 February 2013, 18:38)Scythe13 Wrote:
(11 February 2013, 15:52)bigpaul Wrote:
(10 February 2013, 20:57)Scythe13 Wrote: City life is fun.
when did Taunton become a city??Tongue

It's not. That's why Taunton isn't fun haha.

i'd agree with you there, Taunton isnt fun, every time i travel through there on my way back from Glastonbury(taunton, norton fitzwarren, hill common, wiveliscombe) i'm always glad to get back to dear old comfortable Devon.

(11 February 2013, 18:49)Scythe13 Wrote: There are some people that have lived country lives and all they know is that lifestyle. If they came into a city....BOOM, first target for a gang. I know I'd have my eye on them haha.
i think i'm lucky then, as i have had a foot in both camps as it were, i have lived in a city but now live in the countryside, so i know the pro's and con's of both.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
11 February 2013, 19:02,
The only real problem with surviving in a City will be disease.... They wont take long to turn into a Necropolis in a big die off. and lack of sanitation will be the other cause of disease if the power goes pop!

That's why it's gonna be the burbs for me, best of both worlds.
11 February 2013, 19:07,
i think there will be a BIG problem in the cities with disease, if you read the papers there already is!Big Grin
12 February 2013, 19:25,
I live semi rural position , cottage 2 arces , sounds great ...and it is, but after joining up here and reading the posts, where i live is not so great at all ..when tshtf, most information comes from you NR and others , THIS has made me realize i have to move, up high and out the way.... as i keep on saying, and saying and saying...our place has been on the market for months now and no takers as yet. I am well and truly pissed right off with our position , we cannot move forwards until there,s a sale EVERYTHING is in limbo, we have no morgage and no debts we are very very lucky, my preps are all in place just about, so you would think we would be happy with our lot, BUT i am not, i am frustrated...on top of all this OH does not want to move up high and out the way........so a forced rethink is where i,m at, whats the bloody point of moving...so should i dig in ...maybe some AK47,s mounted on the roof land mines on the parimiter ? and just to top things off...because the place is up for sale, my preps are not set up in an ordered way....signed...... dazed and confused
12 February 2013, 19:32, (This post was last modified: 12 February 2013, 19:32 by Prepper1.)
THOSE PEOPLE WILL BE THE RESOURCES... PLENTY OF FOOD IN THE CITY POST ANYTHING...

NUM NUM NUM....
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...