Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
bug out food
12 February 2013, 12:58,
RE: bug out food
my thought on bugging out is not to be noticed, now if you have to prep and cook this food not such a good idea for me ,i would think that starting a fire is not a good choice ,the rat packs are cooked and ready to eat and last forever
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
12 February 2013, 17:00,
FLAPJACK!

Honey, peanut butter, raisins, golden syrup, a shit load of oats and some spices to flavour.
I made some "Survival Bricks" - 4000 calories per brick. The wife was on her second before I told her the calorie count.

Last for ages (if you don't scoff them straight away), small in size and weight compared to the calories you get out - oh, and they're delicious too Big Grin
12 February 2013, 18:43,
(12 February 2013, 17:00)BeardyMan Wrote: FLAPJACK!

I made some "Survival Bricks" - 4000 calories per brick. The wife was on her second before I told her the calorie count.

Haha that is one way to end up in the missus bad books.

How do you store them to last ages? i like stuff i can forget about for long periods.
12 February 2013, 20:35,
(12 February 2013, 00:11)SecretPrepper Wrote: Protien is always a pain to get. It means i have to fish, trap or hunt. Very time consuming an never guaranteed.

You can get protein through dairy products, the likes of beans and nut and raisins,.. the army rat packs used to have the likes of butter and cheese in tubes, which would be idea,... I think the army stopped using them, but I wonder if they can still be purchased
A major part of survival is invisibility.
12 February 2013, 21:26, (This post was last modified: 12 February 2013, 21:27 by NorthernRaider.)
(12 February 2013, 20:35)Highlander Wrote:
(12 February 2013, 00:11)SecretPrepper Wrote: Protien is always a pain to get. It means i have to fish, trap or hunt. Very time consuming an never guaranteed.

You can get protein through dairy products, the likes of beans and nut and raisins,.. the army rat packs used to have the likes of butter and cheese in tubes, which would be idea,... I think the army stopped using them, but I wonder if they can still be purchased

You can buy tinned butter and cheese off that link that was posted in the food section a while ago.

Here you go

http://shop.conserva.de/en/18-canned-butter

13 February 2013, 10:59,
(12 February 2013, 18:43)SecretPrepper Wrote:

Haha that is one way to end up in the missus bad books.

How do you store them to last ages? i like stuff i can forget about for long periods.

Best way is to wrap them up in greaseproof paper then stick 'em in a tupperware container.
13 February 2013, 11:21,
(13 February 2013, 10:59)BeardyMan Wrote: Best way is to wrap them up in greaseproof paper then stick 'em in a tupperware container.

Interesting. I do have some spare tupperware laying around. Don't suppose you know the length of time they will stay good for?
13 February 2013, 18:01, (This post was last modified: 13 February 2013, 18:08 by Scythe13.)
(12 February 2013, 08:52)SecretPrepper Wrote: You might also be interested in this

http://www.biomed.cas.cz/physiolres/2001...delski.pdf

it has some interesting stuff on alloxan. It seems the chemical is very unstable it has a half life of 1.5 mins and rodents are more susceptible to alloxan than humans although if you haven't eaten in a while (fastened state) you have a higher susceptibility to the chemical (which in a SHTF situation you might be)

Brilliant study. Much appreciated.

With the small half life, you're right. But it does go on to say:
"Alloxan is a hydrophilic and unstable substance. Its half-life at neutral pH and 37 °C is about 1.5 min and is longer at lower temperatures (Lenzen and Munday 1991). On the other hand, when a diabetogenic dose is used, the time of alloxan decomposition is sufficient to allow it to reach the pancreas in amounts that are deleterious."

Obviously, I'm not saying you're guaranteed to get diabetes. The pancreas can put up with a little bit of a beating, but (for me anyway) it's just another reason not to eat white carbs.

Honey, peanut butter, raisins, golden syrup, a shit load of oats and some spices to flavour.

I add a couple of other things, and take off the raisins (sounds like fruit and veg to me haha. Too healthy, even by my standards haha). I add Chia seeds, and protein powder. I think the powder might make them last a shorter time period. Might make a few up and see how long they last for.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
13 February 2013, 18:16,
(13 February 2013, 18:01)Scythe13 Wrote: Obviously, I'm not saying you're guaranteed to get diabetes. The pancreas can put up with a little bit of a beating, but (for me anyway) it's just another reason not to eat white carbs.

[quote='BeardyMan' pid='44958' dateline='1360684841']

I add a couple of other things, and take off the raisins (sounds like fruit and veg to me haha. Too healthy, even by my standards haha). I add Chia seeds, and protein powder. I think the powder might make them last a shorter time period. Might make a few up and see how long they last for.

No worries.
I am like you Scythe a fitness freek Smile i usually avoid the white carbs too. I cant remember where i heard it, i think it was here or a link off here but i heard that brown rice doesn't keep as long because the oils "sour it" i don't know if it is the same for flour. I need to find some alternatives =]

and chia seeds are amazing, got so much to give the body. i might look into long term storage if i can find a cheap supplier.
13 February 2013, 18:33,
(13 February 2013, 18:16)SecretPrepper Wrote: No worries.
I am like you Scythe a fitness freek Smile i usually avoid the white carbs too. I cant remember where i heard it, i think it was here or a link off here but i heard that brown rice doesn't keep as long because the oils "sour it" i don't know if it is the same for flour. I need to find some alternatives =]

and chia seeds are amazing, got so much to give the body. i might look into long term storage if i can find a cheap supplier.

What about Goji berries? You can often find them along roadsides in the UK, which means they'll be easy enough to grow your own stock in your garden.

When we get our house, guess what I'm going to try and grow outside? haha
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin