Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Home Security Garden Fence
6 May 2013, 11:34,
RE: Home Security Garden Fence
post collapse i'd go with the barbed wire but for now what about some of that flimsy expanding trellis? it will increase the height of your fence and if anyone tries to climb over it, it will break into thousands of pieces under their weight hopefully giving them a nasty injury in the process, burglars have said they hate this stuff as it breaks with a loud crack giving a warning to the householder.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 May 2013, 15:02,
(6 May 2013, 11:27)Tartar Horde Wrote: I.d string a couple of lengths of Razor wire/Barbed wire across the gap and grow Brambles through it like a trelliss. prune the Brambles so you get long leaders to thread through wire and close the gap. When the Brambles have covered the area of the gap, prune the Leaders to promote lateral branching to fill out the overall area. If you have time dig a trench and fill with compost and plant brambles in this. When you feed a native plant like a Bramble it grows very strongly and quickly. Until it has grown enough to be a detterent the Razor wire will be an effective barrier. There are a few houses that have barbed wire atop a fence where I live and for it to be legal all you have to do is put a sign up saying it is there ie, Caution razor wire!! just do that NR.

I was told the other day that you only have to put the sign up if the razor wire is less than 2 metres above the ground. My neighbour has an alleyway alongside her garden and was plagued with kids climbing over. She now has wire on the fence and checked the regulations with the council before installing it.

HTH.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
6 May 2013, 19:44, (This post was last modified: 6 May 2013, 19:51 by Steve.)
Anyone with a pair of wire cutters will come through lines of razor wire, to be really effective it needs to be coiled, preferably a couple of coils wired together at many points and with thorny bushes growing through it. I use a small pair of bolt croppers to cut all sizes of barbed wire, they're adjusted so that the jaws slide past each other ( like a pair of scissors ), they cut all sizes of wire quietly and completely. Normally adjusted bolt croppers leave the wire needing to be snapped at the flattened part and that can be painful with barbed wire.

I'm not a burglar by the way, I'm a smallholder.

Incidentally, when I owned a piece of land that was being used by local shirtlifters as a cottage I found that the fence was often cut so I strung a few runs of old lift cable along the fence and nobody ever managed to cut it. Nasty greasy dirty stuff that eventually rusts and gets covered in rusty wire splinters.

I got mine from a scrap man who collected it from lift maintenance company in Bermondsey, he had it regularly so they must change a lot of it.
6 May 2013, 21:52,
The thing is, anyone truly mptivated will get past almost anything.

Thorny plants, barbed wire, razor wire, and even my suggestion of razor blades, can be easily thwarted by a roll of carpet worn as a cape, like how guys get out of prisons.

The real issue is, to what extent are you going to advertise you have what THEY want? More subtle things, like razor blades and hogweed are going to be deterents. Barbed wire and the alike are much more obvious and advertising.

Getting the cables lined up and digging trenches also could attract attention. Planting stuff is pretty normal, so it much smarter an option to follow!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
6 May 2013, 22:07,
Oh hell, hogweed! That is horrible stuff. Get it on your bare skin or near your eyes and you are in trouble. There are some horrifically thorny rose varieties that can cause real damage and are almost impossible to walk through without being caught. Pyracantha and blackthorn are also quite good for dense and thorny cover, or how about good old holly
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
6 May 2013, 22:12,
Gooseberry bushes have wicked thorns, mine have thorns set in groups of three and they point slightly back down the stem - even the goats won't touch them and they eat holly for breakfast.