Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
roadkill.
16 May 2012, 23:58,
RE: roadkill.
A bunch of us who used to meet up at the Rat and Survival bike and trike rally, started our own winter camping event in the Peak District. We noticed that winter rallys attracted a better class of nutter. Road killed Pheasants seem to be in abundance wherever I have lived, and would often make it to the barbecue or cooking pot (made out of half a metal barrel) at our winter get together. It tasted fine. A farmer who was with us supposedly could tell how fresh they were.

However, after TSHTF there won't be quite the traffic there is now. It's good practice for preparing hunted meat though. I didn't get the opportunity to do any preparation, as my vegetarian wife would have hit me with my own tent peg mallet. I'm not sure what her problem was, you don't get any more free-range than roadkill!
17 May 2012, 09:43,
RE: roadkill.
I have tried roadkill deer, it was pretty intact, so we took it round to a friend's house and butchered it there. The slop sound of all the guts sliding out is very memorable Tongue It tasted fine, if a little tenderized!
Supposedly a judge of freshness is whether or not the eyes are still intact, because crows etc go for them first. I watched some butchery vids on YouTube, and a lot of them mention soaking game in salt water overnight to improve the flavor.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8