Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What would you do?
18 February 2013, 02:47,
RE: What would you do?
ive got a few strings to my bow Big Grin

ive got some building experience, can nock a tune out of a few musical instruments, i know a little about hunting and trapping, im up for scavenging plus anything else i can put my hand to. Most of the skills i know im constantly trying to develop, you never know what you might need to know or when it might be usefull or who you might be stuck with.

There will be lots of things you can do, lots of things anyone could do, they just wont have thought of it yet Smile
Winter is coming
18 February 2013, 05:13,
Beautiful question!!!

First and foremost I would bring motivation and hope to whomsoever I was in a group with. I would encourage people and lift their spirits. Build a more positive attitude to the group. We wouldn't be singing Kumbyaa, but we would be motivated to getting to a reasonable living standard.

Secondly, I would provide knowledge of my skills. I'm always told I'm a good teacher, whether it's BJJ to a policeman, English to a Chinese friend, or fire starting with my wife. I love to teach and see people develop.

Thirdly, I hope I'd provide moral guidance and a point of referrence to team members. Standards of respect and moral standings are important, whether in WROL or ROL!

Fourthly, I'd offer myself up to any and all tasks that I could perform properly. If there's someone better than me at building a shelter, then I'd let them do it. As SD says, we are all Alpha personalities, but for me, being who I am includes knowing my limits and allowing other people to do things too. I wouldn't make life a dictatorship...unless it was temporary, as a way to get through a life and death situation. If there's someone else bstter at the job, may they do it. If a job needs doing, I'll give it my all!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
18 February 2013, 08:36,
(18 February 2013, 00:49)HideandSeek Wrote: I think they're all great answers but ultimately it gives food for thought I guess.Does anyone hear participate in hunting or trapping? if so, I would love to know the area and try somewhere new!

Hunting is something that's going on all the time up here,... come an event it will have to be a main occupation even with a years supply of food in storage, as there will be a good need for fresh food as well as canned,............ but there again I live in a big hunting area
A major part of survival is invisibility.
18 February 2013, 08:52,
Living in a city its only poachers who have no permission out with lamps and dogs
18 February 2013, 09:18,
Good question, I'm very much a jack of all trades, mechanic, gardener, bee keeper, cook, child care, teacher/instructor, hunting and trapping and a smatering of other skills, can turn my hand to most things, but a master at non.
18 February 2013, 10:17,
definitely scavenger!!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
18 February 2013, 12:37, (This post was last modified: 18 February 2013, 12:38 by MaryN.)
Ooh, nice question. Apart from the usual skills - cooking, crafts etc., I can turn my hand to gardening and crop rotation; herbal gardening (useful for the basic ailments); i'm used to dealing with livestock, so rearing animals. I can break horses to harness and saddle. Just need someone to provide the livestock.

And I'm no slouch in brewing either.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
18 February 2013, 13:29,
Great thread. Lets find out what skill sets the group has.

I am in pretty good shape. i have a degree in fitness and well-being and i am a qualified fitness instructor (although i work in a crap office job) i am also qualified sports masseus and worked in sports injury. so soft tissue injuries i can assist in healing ( i am a bit rusty at the mo).

Apart from that i am like the rest of the replies some experience with DIY, gardening, foraging, first aid, Swimming lifesaver
18 February 2013, 19:32,
good allround building skills, chippy by trade.....self defence expert (of the wifey kind ) over many years....tip.....foetal position is the first thing you should practice.......
18 February 2013, 19:38,
95% of the jobs i have done are of the manual labour type inc labouring,painting and decorating,gardening,warehouse work,asphalting roofs,animal rescue center/farm you get the picture,Love a bit of scavenging
Todays mighty oak is just yesterdays nut that held its ground
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king