Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Camping mat
19 February 2013, 17:29,
RE: Camping mat
I went through a stage of using a hammock but I found it so much easier to keep warm and remain secure with a built shelter / platform.
19 February 2013, 18:38,
What platform did you use Megatron.
For hammocks, it is between the DD hammock, at around £20. Or a Milcom mech one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hammock-Camping-...351&sr=8-1
I know Mesh is not as good because it is not waterproof or windproof (obviously), but if used with a tarp, surely that wouldn't matter?
19 February 2013, 20:27,
Never tried a hamock, but im tempted to get one just to see how many time I fall out can see the benefits of them especialy if its raining
20 February 2013, 02:00,
I guess it's very dependent on how long you'll be using it. If it's a long term thing, I'd go heavier for better sleep. If it's short term, leading to a comfy bed, go light to travel faster. We all need sleep, so decide whether rapid movement is more important, or comfort.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
20 February 2013, 02:09,
Sorry D97, I mean platform that was built into my shelter.

I don't know what the type of shelter is called as its probably got some really cool technical name Wink.
Just two branches crossed and lashed at either end with one of each pair of branched longer than the other to provide the roof supports. Then two more branches the length of your body to join both sides and provide your sleeping platform.

After that its just a case of some longer sticks and foliage for the the roof and lots of short sticks for your bed platform.

It can take hours to get it right but I'm pretty good at it now so I can have up a very robust and comfortable shelter in around 30 minutes, practice makes perfect so I'm told.

I hope that helps.
20 February 2013, 02:12,
the net hammocks are shit full stop. when i slept in mine i had one ft on the floor all night, cold as fuck and bad for the body come morning. with a dd hammock and basha you can be warm, drie, sleep on your side, and if its real cold use the basha to make a lean to use the wood to make a fire wall and trust me, get this right and you'll have to brake the fire up so it burns less. i've been in -4 in shorts and t-shirt with the lean to basha stlye method cos the heat comes off the fire wall through u and then bounces off the slight shine of the basha. by the way the net hammock is used to keep my daughters teddy's in, the only good thing for them.
he never planned to fail, he just failed to plan. like lambs to the slaughter the wolfs look down from the hill tops. we are those wolfs!!!
20 February 2013, 14:08,
if im in my bivi i use 3/4 mat with one of those survival bags with leaves or moss in it for extra comfort.
not got round to getting a hammock yet but i do plan on getting a dd one.
21 February 2013, 17:19,
I have past the age for use of a hammock. The war planners have gotten it all wrong. Want to win a war, put a bunch of old men into the area and make them sleep in hammocks for a night, then give them rifles. They will kill anything that moves before noon.

I use a self inflating sleeping pad for backpacking, which I seldom do any more. It is worth the extra few ounces and size. I strap it outside the pack anyway.

In my part of the world we have some serious bug. Not all that dangerous but pesky and irritating. The only time I have ever packed up and gone home early in all my years, was due to misquitoes. I therefore use a lightweight bug proof tent. It is the old "puptent" style that allows one to string the ridge line between two trees or to use a pole at each end. The poor thing is about 30 years old now and due for replacement.

Most of my camping is now out of the vehicle with no size or weight restrictions. Often I require the utility trailer for additional space.
22 February 2013, 19:18,
I have a DD hammock and a tropical one from RVOPS. Both of them are double layered so you can put a roll mat or self inflating mat between the two layers for extra warmth and added ridgidity. You can also sleep between the two layers with or without the mat so you can be covered if you prefere. I agree with Beardey Man about the whoopie slings from DD. They are great and make adjusting your hammock so much easier.