Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tesco Again
25 February 2013, 16:44,
RE: Tesco Again
(25 February 2013, 16:35)bigpaul Wrote: i prefer buying mine in person, i get to choose what i want and i can make sure i dont get any dented ones either, we dont buy lots of tins, just enough to replace what we've used from stores and maybe a few extra just to increase the stocks. we buy UHT milk, enough to last us a month plus i have an emergency stock as well, bought 16 cartons this morning!

That's one thing I don't have, UHT milk. Mainly cause I grew up in a household that only ever bought the full-diet-white-water milk. Now I only drink full fat milk, can't stand the UHT stuff. It does go off too - we did buy some from Costco AGES ago, opened one to test it (cause it was late and I couldn't be arsed to walk to the shop just so SWMBO could have a cuppa) and it had gone off. It was months past it's best before (or use by?) date though so probably to be expected.

I have milk powder instead, which probably tastes worse.

On the dented tins, quite a few got dented in moving them Angry
Slowly trying to incorporate them into meals, or give them to the dog - he loves those hot-dogs as treats!
25 February 2013, 17:01,
Seems like we are not the only ones who dont like tesco
http://www.theweek.co.uk/business/51607/...ich-survey

Iceland isnt even on the list
Todays mighty oak is just yesterdays nut that held its ground
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
25 February 2013, 17:44,
(25 February 2013, 16:44)BeardyMan Wrote: That's one thing I don't have, UHT milk. can't stand the UHT stuff. It does go off too - we did buy some from Costco AGES ago, opened one to test it (cause it was late and I couldn't be arsed to walk to the shop just so SWMBO could have a cuppa) and it had gone off. It was months past it's best before (or use by?) date though so probably to be expected.

I have milk powder instead, which probably tastes worse.

probably to be expected if it was months over, we've been drinking it for 14 years now, we've got tins of powdered milk too for when TSHTF and we've drunk all the carton stuff.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
25 February 2013, 18:50,
Currently I think we have 20 or 21 litres of UHT under the stairs along with 25 litres of apple juice.

25 February 2013, 19:01,
(25 February 2013, 18:50)NorthernRaider Wrote: Currently I think we have 20 or 21 litres of UHT under the stairs along with 25 litres of apple juice.

currently we have 26 litres of UHT milk-our normal amount.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
25 February 2013, 21:28,
Well, looks like I'm going to have to try and hide a dairy cow in the house should TSHTF. Lets just hope I don't jump the gun and get arrested for cattle rustling.

Although if I could convince the wife to let me have a goat I wouldn't need to buy a lawnmower, and I'd have free milk.
26 April 2013, 01:20,
(23 February 2013, 11:54)TheFalcon Wrote: I had a good few canned tesco spaghetti bolognaise
in storage{yes i know its shit but if there was nothing else}and had to throw them out on account that they were 100% horsemeatAngry

Not so sure I would've thrown them out. Horse is still edible, isn't it?
26 April 2013, 07:22,
I hate tesco!

I used to work in their call in Dundee, mainly just for a few extra quid. But I know how they treat their customers and it ain't good.

Hopefully their policies have changed.

Also used to shop in tesco, until my car was damaged by a runway trolley. I was told it was ultimately my fault for parking my car in their car park! (Nothing to do with thousands of trolleys lying all over the place cos the trolley guys hadn't taken ANY trolleys back that day! )

In tesco's defence, I know EXACTLY where ALL tesco Scotch labelled beef comes from and I'd happily buy it.

The same supplier also supplies some local butchers, as well as aldi, asda (indirectly) marks and spencer (indirectly) and harrods.

It's considered one of the best abattoirs in Scotland and the UK.

So there you go! The same meat in tesco, is also the same meat on some local butchers shelves!

I'd still support the local guy tho.

Oh and on another abattoir related point. It's worth checking out local abattoirs, some have shops on site, a chicken plant not that far from me does some incredible deals, it's actually worth the 100 mile round trip for just a case or two of breasts!
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
26 April 2013, 09:38,
I hate Tesco with a PASSION. I don't know where their food comes from; it's never fresh enough for my standards, and the staff are mostly idiots.

My local butcher gave me a great deal on a half pig for the freezer. Magnificent meat and much, much cheaper. Worth checking your local independents.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
26 April 2013, 11:04,
the main reason for the recall/destruction of food, was the fact it was not labeled properly as containing horse meat, which no one was expecting. Its only a liability issue that we binned them, the stuff is still good to eat, we should have slapped a label on saying "may contain percentage of horse meat" then given the tins to a food bank, instead of landfill/incinerators. no way to save the frozen or chilled food though, damn shame, i would have taken a load of frozen burgers/meals home if i had the chance.