Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
decisions decisions
22 February 2013, 14:21,
RE: decisions decisions
(22 February 2013, 13:59)Barneyboy Wrote: for the arrows wot sort of wood is best my friend
That's a right can of worms you opened there mate lol,
For everyday field use you can't go wrong with Port Orford Cedar (POC), if you want to use Ye olde Fashioned arrows ASH was the one to use as it is a heavy shaft and hits hard, but only realy suitable for heavy "war Bows"
Chris boyton shafts are good also as these come with +-5 grains hand selected. The link below is to a shop that sells a good range of shafts. I use POC at the moment but only till my Bamboo shafts arrive.
http://www.thelongbowshop.com/
22 February 2013, 14:28,
most shafts you can buy seem to be either spruce or cedar.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
22 February 2013, 15:56,
(22 February 2013, 14:28)bigpaul Wrote: most shafts you can buy seem to be either spruce or cedar.
Yeah BP Cedar (port Orford) is the most widely used I reckon, I've never used Sitka Spruce so I'm not sure of their performance. I have heard good reports about Douglas Fir though, reports say it is a shaft that can take a bit of rough use and stay useable, but I have never used them. The feedback only came from two people so I can't speak authoritivley on them. Have you used these woods? and what are they like for shafts.
22 February 2013, 16:03,
(22 February 2013, 15:56)Tartar Horde Wrote:
(22 February 2013, 14:28)bigpaul Wrote: most shafts you can buy seem to be either spruce or cedar.
Yeah BP Cedar (port Orford) is the most widely used I reckon, I've never used Sitka Spruce so I'm not sure of their performance. I have heard good reports about Douglas Fir though, reports say it is a shaft that can take a bit of rough use and stay useable, but I have never used them. The feedback only came from two people so I can't speak authoritivley on them. Have you used these woods? and what are they like for shafts.

cant really say, i use mostly Armex ready made arrows, although i have bought some job lot arrows and replaced some flights and changed the points on occassion, i find it cheaper to buy ready made arrows than make my own...i'm a bit of a cheapskateBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
22 February 2013, 22:59,
TH,... you really should do more threads on Bows and arrows, type, making and looking after them, together with suggestions on good bows, for both learner and experienced hunter,.. I and I am sure many others would find them very useful,... a good subject to learn up on
A major part of survival is invisibility.