Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Life Boat rations
25 September 2013, 02:30, (This post was last modified: 25 September 2013, 17:05 by CharlesHarris.)
RE: Life Boat rations
I keep either Seven Oceans or Mainstay lifeboat rations in my ruck. They are OK short term and to add in soups or to make porridge. Having peanut butter, jam, cayenne or curry to vary the flavor also helps. I ate them for a week once when we got snowed in camp during a blizzard, had gotten no game and ran out of groceries. Not my first choice for a gourmet meal, but much better than Ken-L-Ration dog food and Milkbone dog biscuits with only hot water melted from snow, with no tea or coffee left in camp!

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
25 September 2013, 08:35, (This post was last modified: 25 September 2013, 08:50 by Midnitemo.)
love em...worked for a ships chandlers a while back and got quite a thing for them and tinned cheese! would buy some if they weren't so dear. they are fortified with vits and minerals tooTongue

if i do get some they will be mainly for bob's but the rest i would use as fillers/snacks between meals.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
25 September 2013, 10:51, (This post was last modified: 25 September 2013, 11:01 by Midnitemo.)
a days calories in something similar in size to a can of stew/curry/chilli 2300kcals verses about 600 .. its a no brainer for a bob.. 9 individual biscuits can be eaten as and when also on the move, the can/dehydrated meal is a one time only thing and requires preparation......i don't think the lifeboat rations bung you up like biscuits brown do,well not in my experience.

I have been given some great recipies to make my own but the stumbling block for me is A.... i'm a shocking cook and B.... the long life packaging...can't do it compactly enough for what i want.
25 September 2013, 17:10,
As for comfort food, a tin of Red Feather butter and another of Bega cheese turn Seven Oceans into a true BOB feast!

Truth be told, a flask of the Pusser's rum and a can of SPAM added to all of the above, you can feed the mates in your section and be ready to do battle!

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
25 September 2013, 18:54,
(25 September 2013, 10:51)Midnitemo Wrote: I have been given some great recipies to make my own but the stumbling block for me is A.... i'm a shocking cook and B.... the long life packaging...can't do it compactly enough for what i want.

Why dont you do the next best thing and share the recipes with us .... Big Grin
A major part of survival is invisibility.
25 September 2013, 18:59,
(25 September 2013, 18:54)Highlander Wrote:
(25 September 2013, 10:51)Midnitemo Wrote: I have been given some great recipies to make my own but the stumbling block for me is A.... i'm a shocking cook and B.... the long life packaging...can't do it compactly enough for what i want.

Why dont you do the next best thing and share the recipes with us .... Big Grin

they were on here only a few days ago...recipies were put forward by members of the forum...i'll go find the thread.
26 September 2013, 15:55,
(22 February 2013, 22:22)Highlander Wrote: I have always hated porridge, but I was always on the scrounge for the oat meal biscuits,.. so that I could add them to my stew,.. then you got a really good meal

Oatmeal blocks, cheese possessed and apricot jam... mmmmmmmmm! Big Grin