Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Polly Tunnel
3 March 2013, 21:24, (This post was last modified: 3 March 2013, 21:26 by MaryN.)
RE: Polly Tunnel
You've got the hosepipe - you're half way there. Outline your borders and make sure that you dig in hosepipe - well punctured at regular intervals to allow a steady seepage of water into the beds. Connect to water butt when needed. Simples.

Put the pipe to the back or front of the bed so you know where it is. Plant accordingly.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
3 March 2013, 21:30,
I am not sure it would work here, under the top layer of about 18 inches of soil we have almost pure sand, [ we live on an ancient loch beach ] so I think that once water has left the hose pipe, it would soon head south and not get to every part that requires watering.

I think that the time honored system of hose pipe and spray nozzle would work best,.. with loads of horse muck to hold it
A major part of survival is invisibility.
3 March 2013, 21:36, (This post was last modified: 3 March 2013, 21:40 by MaryN.)
You can always try a membrane at a depth under the soil just to try and hang on to that water. Otherwise a bit of double spit digging and a lot of organic matter to try and keep the moisture in. The problem with greenhouses/polytunnels is that the soil quickly dries out in the higher temperatures involved. Only a couple of degrees difference will result in dried, lumpy soil.

What is the seasonal range of temperature up there?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
3 March 2013, 22:03, (This post was last modified: 3 March 2013, 22:07 by Highlander.)
I do have plenty of old cow and horse muck arriving in a couple of days, so I will be digging that in well,..I know from experience that its the only way to do it here,.... I cant tell how it will go this year, should be fine,... but certainly year on year the soil will improve.

As for the seasonal temp ranges, I don't they are much different from what might be found in the midlands, but our seasons are a heck of a lot later in the year than most others, people dont really start gardening for about a month after England,...although of course it lasts a little longer at the other end of the year.

We can also work longer in the day up here, in the summer it doesn't get dark here until well after midnight, and is light again by 0400hrs,..and temps rise quicker because of it
4 March 2013, 10:26, (This post was last modified: 4 March 2013, 10:27 by Scythe13.)
Looking awesome there mate!

Is it South facing, or what?

Nice dog too.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
4 March 2013, 21:51, (This post was last modified: 4 March 2013, 21:53 by Highlander.)
(4 March 2013, 10:26)Scythe13 Wrote: Looking awesome there mate!

Is it South facing, or what?

Nice dog too.

Yes, its south facing, the hedge is on the north side,.,... that hedge will still be taken down by half later

I have started to double dig horse muck in today

The evergreen hedge that is,.. the mixed hedge is on the East side,.. the flag pole is on the West side
5 March 2013, 11:00,
If you pop some mirrors or tinfoil along the outside of the north side, you'll add a load more light that would have escaped and gone straight through the tunnel.

Weird trick, but it works.
5 March 2013, 18:19,
Thats a good idea Scythe,... I will look into doing that
5 March 2013, 18:26,
(5 March 2013, 18:19)Highlander Wrote: Thats a good idea Scythe,... I will look into doing that

Happy to help.

On a totally unrelated point, growing tomatos is exactly the same as growing weed/cannabis just use different seeds.
5 March 2013, 20:35,
I hate tomatoes,... but her indoors loves them,... we will see...Smile