Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"The Watchmen"
2 March 2013, 17:13,
RE: "The Watchmen"
(2 March 2013, 14:40)bigpaul Wrote: 1. TRUST will be in very short supply post SHTF, probably non existent.. 2. if in doubt trust no one(then you wont be surprised when they let you down).3. err on the side of caution.

Depending on the threat that put us in the sh*t, things may go the complete opposite, if the adversary was from overseas for instance, or a government operation against the people, then we might well find that people pull together,.. this is certainly what history has shown us happens

If the problem is down to civil unrest, then we would have to be careful, but even here I bet local people would band together

If its a pandemic or something similar,..then trust would be hard to come by because there is no-one people could turn to in complete confidence, because anyone from friends and family to neighbors would all be at risk, or maybe infected
A major part of survival is invisibility.
2 March 2013, 18:28,
(2 March 2013, 17:13)Highlander Wrote: Depending on the threat that put us in the sh*t, things may go the complete opposite, if the adversary was from overseas for instance, or a government operation against the people, then we might well find that people pull together,.. this is certainly what history has shown us happens

would still have to be very careful, there could be spies amongst the population or even our own people plotting against us just so they will be fed and looked after. i will probably just go off somewhere until its over.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
2 March 2013, 22:41,
I tend to agree with Dorset Lad, there is strength in numbers.
imagine your at the BOL hunkered down, and as some have implied, anyone crossing the perimeter is immediately met with hostile force or you have the place rigged with booby traps. so one cold/rainy evening your hunkered down when a screaming womans voice pierces the night. upon investigation you find a young woman half dead in whatever trap you set. next to her are her two small children suffering hypothermia. On her last breath she says" I'm a doctor, I could have helped you.... just wanted shelter from the cold." great, so now you just killed a doctor and have two small children left there freezing.

I know against the code, but if we are to have a chance at survival we have to have at least compassion for one another and willingness to give each other a chance. here's another scenario: again at your BOL. this time you have the flu. luckily you had some medicine stashed so you are able to get better. but what happens while you are sick? taking the medicine doesnt make you instantly feel better. what if your BOL is found while your sick?

when i was in USAF basic training i got strep throat. I put off going to the infirmary for two days cause its frowned on big time. finally i felt so bad i went. they gave me all the meds available and i was still in the hospital in a semi-conscious state for two days.

unless someone poses an immediate threat its hard for me to justify gunning them down. i will try to stay invisible and cautious but willing to consider joing forces or just plain helping folks if i can. otherwise, really why bother?
3 March 2013, 11:06, (This post was last modified: 3 March 2013, 11:43 by bigpaul.)
sorry friend, anyone comes near my BOL post shtf i'm going to ASSUME their up to no good and act accordingly, we wont have take to start asking questions about peoples actions, when someone IS intent on doing us harm we will have to act on the spur of the moment if we want to survive.

trouble with compassion is, it could get you killed if you make the wrong mistake.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
3 March 2013, 13:34,
"trouble with compassion is, it could get you killed if you make the wrong mistake."

I agree 100% with you BP. I understand the lifeboat analogy too. to be truthful i dont know what i'd do. the christian in me wants to be compassionate, the realist knows in that situation i will be full of fear and paranoia and capable of anything.

thats another reason i would like to be with a larger group, maybe like 10-15 people. less fear and hopefully better decisions.
3 March 2013, 13:57,
the trouble is i dont trust ANYONE, that would go double after TSHTF so for me the ONLY way to go is lone wolf/small family group.