Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blackout Britain
24 February 2013, 11:42,
RE: Blackout Britain
Cheers Paul, I think I may have finally got my wife onside for prepping. I mentioned stocking extra gas bottles & long life food "incase the fridge & freezer goes off". Then i added "Obviously if there is no power, we can't buy stuff from the supermarket either as their tills won't work". She seemed to agree & said "yeah, go for it".

As for your point about importing from elsewhere, you're spot on. Didn't Russia turn the gas taps off to one of their neighbouring countries because the govt was anti-kremlin? They disguised it by adding unreasonably high charges on the gas, knowing they simply couldn't afford it. When they didn't pay the 1st bill - no more gas. No gas means no heat (to the unprepared). No heat in winter means you die!!!
24 February 2013, 11:45, (This post was last modified: 24 February 2013, 11:50 by NorthernRaider.)
The Russian Federation have turned off the gas to the Ukraine at least three times now, problems most of the Russian gas pipeline Europe rely on also run through the Ukraine so the Ukrainians simply started snaffling the gas meant for Europe.

Only a couple of years ago the UK was down to only 4 hours supply of gas left in mid winter.

Historical articles
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/149760/...in-shivers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...-snap.html

24 February 2013, 11:54,
at the best, the UK only stores enough gas to last 13 days.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
24 February 2013, 12:08,
(24 February 2013, 11:42)Geordie_Rob Wrote: C "Obviously if there is no power, we can't buy stuff from the supermarket either as their tills won't work".

I think that you hit the nail on the head there, gr.
Cash only at the tills....
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
24 February 2013, 12:13,
(24 February 2013, 12:08)Prepper1 Wrote:
(24 February 2013, 11:42)Geordie_Rob Wrote: C "Obviously if there is no power, we can't buy stuff from the supermarket either as their tills won't work".

dont forget most supermarket doors are electric too, you might not even get inside!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
24 February 2013, 12:24,
They have a manual over ride... for just such occasions.
Just watch for those doors that are shut and kept shut with magna locks....
They wont be locking anything then...
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
24 February 2013, 15:29,
I remember in the 70,s power cuts.....no freezers in our house...radio was battery op....hurricane lamp and candles....open range fire in kitchen "coal or wood " problem....what problem ? ....geet yourselves a wood burner...do it NOW..you will be fine
24 February 2013, 15:44,
(24 February 2013, 12:13)bigpaul Wrote:
(24 February 2013, 12:08)Prepper1 Wrote:

dont forget most supermarket doors are electric too, you might not even get inside!Big Grin

Plus there will be no lighting so the shops won't officially be open for good old H&S reasons. Not that I'm encouraging anything but that should also mean the CCTV won't be working (unless its on a backup generator. I know from working at morrisons they have them to keep the freezers & chillers working).
24 February 2013, 16:01,
(24 February 2013, 15:29)Straight Shooter Wrote: I remember in the 70,s power cuts.....no freezers in our house...radio was battery op....hurricane lamp and candles....open range fire in kitchen "coal or wood " problem....what problem ? ....geet yourselves a wood burner...do it NOW..you will be fine

we had overhead power lines and every year they went down and as a kid i loved it.
an open fire a few lamps and candles ............lovely
24 February 2013, 16:43,
(24 February 2013, 11:45)NorthernRaider Wrote: Only a couple of years ago the UK was down to only 4 hours supply of gas left in mid winter.
If I remember correctly, didn't the Spanish gazump us on a tanker full of gas passing by them on its way to us. Nice to know we can rely on our fellow Europeans to play fairly.
they laugh at us because we're different, we laugh at them because they're all the same