Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blackout Britain
24 February 2013, 21:25,
RE: Blackout Britain
Ok mon ami regardless of the size of EMP if your genny is not stored inside a faraday cage ( metal box) an EMP would toast the ignition module at the very least, plus fuses, plus solonoids, plus relays, it could overheat fine wiring and damage circuit boards, some older thinking types on EMP believe it could even demagnetise your alternator. So please metal box it.

Fuel modern petrol has had all the stuff that made it good removed like lead and sulpher and stuff that stopped it from turning into varnish after 6 months or losing its octane value ( cetain on diesels) it will also start to grow anaerobic bacteria that will create asludge that will clog up your fuel system, I suggest a trip to your local online purveyer of fuel stabiliser would not be amiss.

24 February 2013, 21:34,
(24 February 2013, 21:25)NorthernRaider Wrote: Ok mon ami regardless of the size of EMP if your genny is not stored inside a faraday cage ( metal box) an EMP would toast the ignition module at the very least, plus fuses, plus solonoids, plus relays, it could overheat fine wiring and damage circuit boards, some older thinking types on EMP believe it could even demagnetise your alternator. So please metal box it.

I agree,...its finding such a faraday cage big enough, I would need one about,..[ and here I will need to measure ],.. but something like 4L x 3W x 3H.... my lad works in a steel fabrication works,..I must have a word with him about this
A major part of survival is invisibility.
24 February 2013, 21:37, (This post was last modified: 24 February 2013, 21:38 by NorthernRaider.)
Cost of metal box versus being caught out without power and seeing your expensive genny as an orniment !!!! and without fuel its useless, you could also look at an lpg conversion kit for it aswell if your keen, then it will run on two fuels ??

E mail from chum says bacofoil wrapped over chicken wire cage lined with polystyrene sheeting !!!

24 February 2013, 21:46, (This post was last modified: 24 February 2013, 21:48 by Highlander.)
I have just spoken to my lad on the phone, and he said that it would be easy to do it out of a galvanized metal,..I will give him the measurements tomorrow,.. the only problem is that they dont do hinges at his work,..so I have asked him to make the box,..and the lid separate, and I will see about the hinges

I asked him to make it so that the lid is on the front not the top, so that when open all I have to do is pull it out and push it back in

I will use aluminum tape around the lid when stored away,... better than bacon foil I think,...I have quite a few rolls of that here
24 February 2013, 21:55,
Screw the hinges you dont need em, besides to have a hinged lid means you have to have more looseness around the lids fit to the box, just get as close a fitting push on chocolate box or bisquit tin fit as you can get and secure it with a bungy lastic.

24 February 2013, 22:02,
Good idea,.. a lid that fits inside a slight lip,... thats easy, because he was saying that he would make a frame from small angled metal, so if that metal was slightly in, then the lid would fit flush,... well done NR
24 February 2013, 22:06,
De nada Senor Highlander, there can only be one (metal box)

24 February 2013, 22:09, (This post was last modified: 24 February 2013, 22:10 by Straight Shooter.)
I have a small genny inside a metal dust bin just incase .....but the other genny i will have to make a f/cage

seen this done on yt
24 February 2013, 22:20,
HL I've no doubt there will be a marina or harbour near you with a boatyard or chandlers they are usually good places to find fuel stabiliser / preserver / anti fungal stuff like STA-BIL or Wynnes etc

24 February 2013, 22:21,
You should have heard me trying to explain to my lad what I wanted,... I can still hear him now,...` what do you want that for?`,... Oh you want it water proofed?`,... `not waterproofed, then what the hell is it for?`,...Smile, I promised to tell him next time he is up,... he thinks we are a couple of loonies already

NR,... yes I might take a trip up to Arisaig sometime