Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
securing outbuildings
24 February 2013, 14:29,
securing outbuildings
Sitting here looking at the shed, with all the tools and goodies in it, and wondering how to really secure it so that someone doesn't just go off with my stuff when I'm not here.

But on the other hand, not make it obvious that it's really secure ,like having those big yellow box latches they you see,as that would just make any passing Pikey think "oooh, I wonder what's in there, must be nice if got those big locks on it"

Any ideas from the wise of SUK?
Sodomi Non Sapiens.
24 February 2013, 14:35,
RE: securing outbuildings
Quickest, cheapest and easiest is to put an alarm on it. Door lock, cover the windows. There is no real way to secure anything 100% but you can make it risky by making a lot of noise. The more noise they have to make to gain access the less they are likely to get in.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
24 February 2013, 14:38,
One of the very best security things I ever saw was a friends timber shed, it had the normal shed lock but the devious bugger went to the side wall of the shed nearest the door and drilled three 5 /8 holes right through so line of sight the holes passed right behind the door. On the frame either side of the door he fitted a length of dexion angle iron with holes drilled through to match the position of the holes in the frame.

Then he simply slid 3 lengths of 1/2 steel bar through the she side, through both pieces of dexion this putting three solid steel rods across the back of the shed door. from the outside the only tell was three bits of green paracord fastened through the end of the bars so they could be pulled out easily, and a plant pot stood in front on the bars providing a screen of the bars. Unless you knew the bars were there you would never fathom out when the door would not open. On OUTWARD opening doors you need four pieces of dexion, one either side of the door and two on the door.

24 February 2013, 14:48,
i got an alarm from the £1 shop, one of those personal attack alarm thingies, put it inside the shed attached to a wall or something solid with a cable tie or such, attach a strong wire or paracord to the inside of the door with a nail or such, attach other end to the ring on the alarm, hey presto 1 shed alarm....dont forget to put the batteries in the alarm first!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
24 February 2013, 15:01,
Alarms are only good if there is someone around to respond to them. I stapled chicken wire inside the walls of my shed to deter scum pulling panels off, fitted shutters and laminating film on the windows and used a bolted not screwed lock system, I even used a security post at one house (the type that folds down when unlocked) to block the shed door.

24 February 2013, 15:02, (This post was last modified: 24 February 2013, 15:04 by Straight Shooter.)
There,s alot of shed breakin,s around here lately, alarm is the best way..even the one BP has ...but just incase try hanging a pick by some rope tied off from a roof rafter "pendulum action" piece of para on a ring cliped to door ...activated when door is halfway open ....don,t forget though it bloody hurts ( i can tell you ) only i open the sheds and garages

picked this up from my grandfather.....old doug never stole another egg
24 February 2013, 15:41,
Whenever I need to secure any type of outbuilding I find it best to think like thief, they don’t like to make noise and don’t like to be seen.
So an alarm and some sort of motion type sensor light might be a good start
Sheds and garages are notoriously easy targets and sadly if they want to get in most the time they do !
24 February 2013, 18:40,
Small fishing hooks hung at various heights from the roof of your shed while your away. Anyone tries sneaking in at night gets tangled and mangled Smile
Winter is coming
24 February 2013, 19:47,
(24 February 2013, 18:40)Hex Wrote: Small fishing hooks hung at various heights from the roof of your shed while your away. Anyone tries sneaking in at night gets tangled and mangled Smile

My mate done that & got done for setting traps. Not sure of the actual charge but he very nearly lost his job for it & had to give the poor old thieving bastard some compo. To make it worse, the lad got a caution & that was it as he never actually got in to steal anything so was just criminal damage. Obviously because our country is fucked up, my mate had to pay to repair the damage aswell.
24 February 2013, 20:26,
I know of a guy down south who built a small fenced area around the shed and built in a large dog flap,..... it was enough to make anyone think twice
A major part of survival is invisibility.