Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What tinned food is best?
2 March 2013, 17:18,
RE: What tinned food is best?
Some things will not come in tins, but are none the less important, things like tomato [ and other ] sauces, these will add flavor to other food, as will things like pickled onions and beetroot [ in jars of course ],..salt is very important, and sugar, for both sweetening and medical
A major part of survival is invisibility.
2 March 2013, 18:06,
(2 March 2013, 17:18)Highlander Wrote: Some things will not come in tins, but are none the less important, things like tomato [ and other ] sauces, these will add flavor to other food, as will things like pickled onions and beetroot [ in jars of course ],..salt is very important, and sugar, for both sweetening and medical

And Nesquik!!! Got to love some chocolate milk after TEOTWAWKI!!!!

For me, in all seriousness, I agree. I have LOADS of packaged foods, like protein powder and stuff that don't come in tins, but this is a tins thread, otherwise I'd say stuff like packets of seeds, and that kind of thing.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
2 March 2013, 19:16,
Well the only other tin product that I can think of that's not been mentioned are canned drinks, we have Pepsi, coke, and orange,.. buy them in packs of six,... it will all be about moral, so a sweet drink will go down better than water
A major part of survival is invisibility.
2 March 2013, 19:29,
Well my list same as NRs except the chichen..none of that TBH never thought of it ...but loads of fish....not that we eat it now...but pshtf would be good ...tuna we do eat now.....loads of salt and vinigar for pickling....
3 March 2013, 10:53,
Pulses, fish, vegetables and deserts (custard, rice pudding, not for nutrition necessarily) would be my choices. I've found that out of date fruit doesn't keep well, I've thrown a few tins of pears out that were only a few months out of date (but probably wouldn't kill you if you had to eat it). I have a lot of tinned pulses as well as dried ones since they would need loads of water to soak & cook which might not be available.
3 March 2013, 13:14,
Thanks for the replies so far ladies and Gents.

I was standing in the store yesterday wondering...tin of Irish stew, or tin of All day breakfast?
I went for the breakfast...
Respect existence or expect resistance!
3 March 2013, 13:25,
(3 March 2013, 13:14)Ghost Wrote: Thanks for the replies so far ladies and Gents.

I was standing in the store yesterday wondering...tin of Irish stew, or tin of All day breakfast?

I had a tin of Irish stew a few months ago. Discovered what looked suspiciously similar to an eyeball in it. Still, the dog enjoyed it when I suddenly wasnt hungry Smile
10 May 2013, 11:26,
(3 March 2013, 13:25)Geordie_Rob Wrote:
(3 March 2013, 13:14)Ghost Wrote: Thanks for the replies so far ladies and Gents.

I had a tin of Irish stew a few months ago. Discovered what looked suspiciously similar to an eyeball in it. Still, the dog enjoyed it when I suddenly wasnt hungry Smile

TongueTongueTongue
I buy sardines and pilchards quite cheap as well as all the aforementioned..bought big tins of pasta and meatballs, pasta and veg from Lidl yesterday. There's about 2/3 servings in them, last till 2017 and they were £1.29.
10 May 2013, 12:43,
Not trying to ignore the question but I wonder why we do this artificial excercise. We would never just stick to 4 tins so I spend too much time thinking about something I would never do.

We want variety to keep us from getting bored and also we don't want to find that our entire stock of something is useless because it contains more than the maximum weekly intake of mercury or something.

My four favs though are;
Beans and sausages
Chicken in white sauce
Peaches
Mixed Veg
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
10 May 2013, 13:17,
My ample selection is soups, noodles and baked beans. I live in the country so I would hunt for fresh meat and fish from the nearby river, well that's the plan but i think i may start collecting a few bits for those long quiet days.

Hhmm come to think of it. It would be best to have quite a bit in due to the unknown state of affairs during the early few weeks/months.