Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What tinned food is best?
10 May 2013, 13:24,
RE: What tinned food is best?
(10 May 2013, 13:17)Anything Really Wrote: My ample selection is soups, noodles and baked beans. I live in the country so I would hunt for fresh meat and fish from the nearby river, well that's the plan but i think i may start collecting a few bits for those long quiet days.

Hhmm come to think of it. It would be best to have quite a bit in due to the unknown state of affairs during the early few weeks/months.

the whole point is to have an EMERGENCY stock of food for when you cant go hunting/fishing/foraging.....bad weather,illness, mobs on the street, maybe martial law? as my granny would say"DONT put all your eggs in one basket"Big Grin its a bit like "mono cropping" if you rely on just ONE thing you may fail!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
10 May 2013, 13:28,
That's exactly what i was thinking while i was writing it. There is a lot to think about when you really start thinking.
10 May 2013, 13:35, (This post was last modified: 10 May 2013, 13:41 by bigpaul.)
(10 May 2013, 13:28)Anything Really Wrote: That's exactly what i was thinking while i was writing it. There is a lot to think about when you really start thinking.

yes, but at least you have started thinking! which is more than i can say about most of the population!Big Grin

most of the people here are the same-although they live in a small market town, their either "incomers" or "townies" with a townie mind set, they really dont get it, most have 3 days or less worth of food in the house, "why bother" they would say when the Co-op store is under a mile away, they just dont realise that ALL supermarkets have a "just in time" delivery schedule, which works fine-usually-until the day it dosent..then what do they do? usually PANIC!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
10 May 2013, 13:42,
It' a good question, and it's made me check out my own stores to be sure there's a rationale for all of them.

I couldn't pick just four, but I prioritize those things that don't need added water - eg chunky soups, baked beans and sausages etc - and those with most protein packed in a small space - eg ham, spam, tuna, 'bacon grill', cured chicken, cured turkey, macaroni cheese, ravioli in tomato sauce etc etc.

Also some things that don't even need heating - eg corned beef, tinned fruit etc.

I also try to 'plan meals' as far as possible (which isn't very much!), and since I've got lots of rice and dried pasta I've been trying to find things that will go with them and make them palatable - eg Sainsbury's chilli con carne is good for the rice, and their bolognaise sauce is good for the spaghetti. I keep tinned salmon, because if you flake it in with reconstituted dried potato (Smash type) you can make the most wonderful salmon fishcakes...

Getting hungry now...
10 May 2013, 13:48,
i'm a FRESH food kind of guy, meat and two veg, i think on average we only use 1 or 2 tins a week, maybe a couple more in the winter when we have tinned fruit and i have soup, too much processed food (all tinned food is processed) is not good for you, so we only buy the tinned food we actually eat, buying tins of what we DONT normally eat is a false economy even if they are cheap.
10 May 2013, 14:53,
BP, As long as you can get that fresh stuff when you need it. These tins are for when you can't and so you need to ensure that what you have is balanced.

Some the events we are looking at covering means we don't have or can't grow any food for a while.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
10 May 2013, 14:56,
(10 May 2013, 14:53)Skean Dhude Wrote: BP, As long as you can get that fresh stuff when you need it. These tins are for when you can't and so you need to ensure that what you have is balanced.

Some the events we are looking at covering means we don't have or can't grow any food for a while.
yes, i have a tinned food preps for when i cant get fresh or its not safe to go outside, i thought you knew i'd been doing this for long enough!!Big Grin
10 May 2013, 15:15,
we tend to stay away from most soups because of the low caloric value. if your family likes peanut butter, like we do, that is great survival food. no cooking required. I read in a book once to try to cover the three big groups: fats/oils, carbs, protein. best advice I've heard is what ghost said at the beginning- stock food you eat now so that you can rotate it preventing spoilage. plus lowers the stress level a little if at least your eating familiar foods, not a bunch of stuff your family hates.
if I had to pick only four:
veg oil, flour, beans, peanut butter

In my opinion, food seperates real preppers from fakes. I started getting serious about prepping because of hurricanes and got caught with my pants down once not having enough meat on hand to last 2 weeks after a major storm. Swore that wouldn't happen again. I've come across many people here in the states that have firearms but no food and think they're prepared for anything. that's one of the reasons I like this site is that its about survival, not getting more guns.
10 May 2013, 17:56, (This post was last modified: 10 May 2013, 18:02 by bigpaul.)
i think by the time TSHTF and we come out the other side, we'll ALL be eating a few strange meals by the time we've exhausted our food supplies! i'm not too bothered about calorific contents and carbs and all that stuff, there'll be times when we wont bother WHAT we're eating we'll just be glad we ARE eating something when all those sheeple outside are starving and dying!

(10 May 2013, 14:56)bigpaul Wrote:
(10 May 2013, 14:53)Skean Dhude Wrote: BP, As long as you can get that fresh stuff when you need it. These tins are for when you can't and so you need to ensure that what you have is balanced.

yes, i have a tinned food preps for when i cant get fresh or its not safe to go outside, i thought you knew i'd been doing this for long enough!!Big Grin
i should have said something about "dont try and teach your granny how to suck eggs"!!Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
11 May 2013, 01:45,
Aldi do tinned herrings in different sauces. Decent quality, inexpensive, much bigger flat tin than sardines. High nutrition content. Long shelf life - usually 3 years I have seen. Not my favourite food but lots of flavour and excellent emergency food in a non bulky tin.
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"