Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
British Knife Laws
6 March 2013, 12:49,
RE: British Knife Laws
(5 March 2013, 20:23)Highlander Wrote: We do have a very poor law system where it comes to knifes

Should have just put a full stop after the word system.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
6 March 2013, 13:37,
From what I understand, it's illegal to carry any sharp blade or pointy object in a public place without good reason. Public place includes anywhere where members of the public can access, so your car, and camping sites / wilderness gatherings are public place. You have much more freedom on private land.

Good reason is generally common sense, you have to be able to justify it to the police. A machete at a campsite, yes, a machete at Tesco without a receipt, no. An exemption is made for the 3 inch folding knives; you can say "General utility" when asked, you don't need anything specific.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
6 March 2013, 13:48,
(6 March 2013, 10:57)Wolfiesmith Wrote:
(6 March 2013, 10:36)bigpaul Wrote: i've always found in the past when dealing with the Police, dont argue with them, dont raise your voice, it only makes them more beligerant, they might be a complete arsehole but its best not to upset them, that way you may not be held up for too long, whearas if you argue they are going to do all the checks they can just to inconvenience you.

Very true, they are in position of power and never be naive enough to think they won't abuse it if they can get away with it, though generally I think this is unlikely. One other tip, if you're directed to pull over then never sit in the car and wait for them. Always get out of the car and keep your hands where they can see them. I was advised years ago that they don't like it if you just sit there, I have found this to be good advice. Obviously jumping out and shouting and swearing isn't advisable either Smile

I have got to disagree with that one I got stopped in a hire car that red flagged as no insurance I stopped put window down and waited I gave them my details they checked it out and I was on my way .
6 March 2013, 13:51,
yes, i've got to agree, i dont think Brit police like you getting out of the car, but i think its more of a power thing, especially in my case as i'm larger than most Plod.Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 March 2013, 20:04,
(6 March 2013, 13:48)David075 Wrote:
(6 March 2013, 10:57)Wolfiesmith Wrote:
(6 March 2013, 10:36)bigpaul Wrote: i've always found in the past when dealing with the Police, dont argue with them, dont raise your voice, it only makes them more beligerant, they might be a complete arsehole but its best not to upset them, that way you may not be held up for too long, whearas if you argue they are going to do all the checks they can just to inconvenience you.

Very true, they are in position of power and never be naive enough to think they won't abuse it if they can get away with it, though generally I think this is unlikely. One other tip, if you're directed to pull over then never sit in the car and wait for them. Always get out of the car and keep your hands where they can see them. I was advised years ago that they don't like it if you just sit there, I have found this to be good advice. Obviously jumping out and shouting and swearing isn't advisable either Smile

I have got to disagree with that one I got stopped in a hire car that red flagged as no insurance I stopped put window down and waited I gave them my details they checked it out and I was on my way .

It depends on the officer, one swallow doesn't make a summer.
Power to the people!
8 March 2013, 14:49,
When I was living in London I was often carrying multiple bags (camera gear), I was usually ignored by plod both generally and when they had the portable metal detectors out at a random station, the only time I was searched was when a couple of younger individuals complained that both of them were being checked but I was not, so they had a look through my gear, including a multitool, and had no questions or issues.

Part of my current work involves working with rope, I have a mini multitool and little swiss army knife in my pocket all the time but when working I also have a Gerber E-Z zip (around 2 inches, fixed blade but in a configuration that makes it very difficult to cut anything bigger than around an inch), thats also been noticed and ignored as it was within a bag with a context.

I also tend to get out of the car and approach plod, giving him time to get out too or wave me into the back (where I sit with a leg dangling out of the open door), I'm quite big so I keep the face smiley and friendly and the manor helpful and compliant. Only happened a handful of times but it makes sense to me.

As an aside, if I feel I need an item for personal protection it's usually a Parker Jotter Pen, I can seriously ruin someones day with one of those.

I agree with the consensus that the law regarding knives is somewhat vague, if it's folding non-locking and under 3" it's not likely to be an issue unless you're waving it about in a bar or something similarly stupid. If it's locking or fixed or longer than 3" you need a good reason to have it, and if you're in an urban area with it tied to your hip I doubt you have a reason THAT good.

Whatever you carry that can be perceived as a weapon can get you into the sh!t if the policeperson at the time thinks you might be breaking a law.

To quote a policewoman friend of mine, 'carry whatever you want, just don't get caught with it if you're even vaguely suspected of anything'.
just a number, nothing to see here, move along now.....
8 March 2013, 22:33,
Thats another Army number,... welcome from 24104199...Smile
A major part of survival is invisibility.
9 March 2013, 12:04,
(8 March 2013, 22:33)Highlander Wrote: Thats another Army number,... welcome from 24104199...Smile

Thanks Cool
just a number, nothing to see here, move along now.....