Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pet food
9 September 2011, 17:41,
Pet food
This is probably one of the oldest questions out there,but it does seem to crop up every time I mention prepping and the storage of food to other people.
Can you safely eat dog food and cat food from a tin and is there a way that you can make it edible and safe if it isn't already?

R.J.
There's no Justice, There's Just Us.

9 September 2011, 19:21,
RE: Pet food
I have heard that the US requires that pet food be suitable for human consumption as sales increase in an economic downturn. I'm not sure if this is also true in the UK.
I suspect it depends a lot on the brand of pet food. Gourmet pet foods are probably better than what you get in a store own brand human food. The store-brand pet food might not be great. I doubt the odd tin would do you (much) harm but I wouldn't want to subsist on pet-food. There may be levels of toxins that have a long term effect on the mammal eating them, which isn't relevant for a pet with a 10 to 15 year life but could cause you problems if you were eating it for 20+ years.

Cook it thoroughly is always good advice for dubious meat but won't help with toxins.
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
9 September 2011, 19:54,
People eat pet food all the time. Pets are animals like us The only difference is the ingredients are not as healthy. Plenty of offal and tripe.

I understand pet food is produced to a minimum standard which makes it OK for us to eat. Just as well ready when baby helps themselves to the dog food.

btw: Dog biscuites were very popular a few years ago.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
10 September 2011, 12:08,
I did try dog biscuits once, they were ok ish
There's no Justice, There's Just Us.

8 January 2012, 05:28,
ive heard the grade of meat in pet food is practically unediable for a person? being that its bleached and reformed and all the other horrors that they do to dog food?
8 January 2012, 11:26,
i saw a tv programme a couple of years ago where they said that pet food is bleached and dyed to make it unfit for human consumption, the programme was about criminal gangs who were trying to wash the dye off so they could sell it to the unsuspecting public!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
8 January 2012, 12:19, (This post was last modified: 8 January 2012, 12:21 by NorthernRaider.)
Canned pet food is basically all the inedible sh1t that is not really suitable and in the abat..... abbou..... aba..... knackers yards is normally sprayed with a blue die to show its not fit for human consumption. BUT many bits of beasts sold as pet food in butchers such as brains, trotters, snouts, hooves etc can be eaten at a push, years ago they were very popular with people. Up here people still buy such stuff like ham hock bones to boil down to improve peas and ham soup
(10 September 2011, 12:08)Reality Jones Wrote: I did try dog biscuits once, they were ok ish

But his wife says he still scratches behind his ear with his foot and drags him bum along the shag pile !! Big Grin

8 January 2012, 12:34,
Pet food may be full of all the crap you don't want to eat but I doubt it is being poisioned. Dogs would get ill also. They are animals like us, except better behaved.

I don't have any dog food in my supplies yet, but if I did I would make sure we could both eat it by checking the brand and not buying really cheap crap from abroad. I would want to care for my dog.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
8 January 2012, 12:52,
I feed the Were-Terrier either Eukanuba or tripe mix from the butchers, I want him to have a good diet incase I need to eat him.

8 January 2012, 12:55,
(8 January 2012, 12:52)NorthernRaider Wrote: I feed the Were-Terrier either Eukanuba or tripe mix from the butchers, I want him to have a good diet incase I need to eat him.

ours is fed on Bakers(brand) dry food, comes in 5kg sealed packs.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.