Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
growing patterns opsec
14 November 2011, 11:47,
growing patterns opsec
With regard to the growing of your own fruit, veg etc after the shtf.
my thoughts were about concealment of growing vegetables etc.
In "Ragnars Urban Survival" done in the early 80's I think ( I have a pdf copy if any one wants it just pm me) he mentions the fact that joe public would recognise most vegetables when grown in regimented rows, but not if it were on its own. Try it go down to your local allotment and have a look, you'll see what he means.
I thought about planting in irregular patches, or around trees etc, odd bits here and there, Ragnars book also recomendeds that. I suppose it has it's pro's and cons...
I mean how many civilians know what a potato plant looks like? or a carrot plant?
Youd instantly know it was some sort of food if in rows though i think.
I dont normaly recomend stuff but he had quite a lot of books out on the subject of prepping and I can say their a bloody good read.
If you dont mind torrent sites there available there for free, If anybody needs help with the torrent software etc just let me know and I'll help all I can.
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."
14 November 2011, 14:12,
RE: growing patterns opsec
Mike,

It is an idea we are all looking at because it makes sense. Although I would guess that after an event we will all be quick learners.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
14 November 2011, 17:21,
Hide your crops behind bushes, hedges in hidden gulleys, anywhere where people cannot see them. Often you can grow the odd one here and there where people walk. Most ordinary citizens will walk by many vegetables and not know what they are. You need to take some chances. Go ahead use as much land as possible. Learn as many edible wild plants as possible. Kenneth Eames.
14 November 2011, 18:42,
After an event, unless you have access to seeds you wont find many veg plants growing, find out about foraging and see what is growing in your area especially fruit.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
14 November 2011, 23:07,
I buy packets of seeds for such use, carrots, beans, cucumber, and herbs etc.
I'm not such a good gardener I usually kill more than I grow but I keep trying, with different methods to see what'll work and what wont, my plan is to start planting in hidden areas around my retreat so I can get used to growing there and also feed the soil before it needs it shtf as I may not be able to then.
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."