Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
PDF's Everywhere!!!
13 March 2013, 16:36,
RE: PDF's Everywhere!!!
(13 March 2013, 16:34)Tonka Wrote: Great find. Thanks

After the collapse of society I shall log on to the 3G network on my smartphone and read about... oh wait... I see a problem.

Having a million PDFs that rely on 240 volts and a PC to read them, is useful for studying, so it's well worth downloading this mine of info, but it is important to choose the most important, useful few and print them ... on asteroid impact resistant paper if possible.

where the heck have you been Tonka? welcome back!Tongue
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
13 March 2013, 18:16,
(13 March 2013, 16:34)Tonka Wrote: Great find. Thanks

After the collapse of society I shall log on to the 3G network on my smartphone and read about... oh wait... I see a problem.

Having a million PDFs that rely on 240 volts and a PC to read them, is useful for studying, so it's well worth downloading this mine of info, but it is important to choose the most important, useful few and print them ... on asteroid impact resistant paper if possible.

That is part of the reason many of us are looking at power. We can power our PCs using solar for example and many of us have purchased panels for this purpose.

Of course these will eventually break but if we are careful we can get a decade of use out of them and during that time things will change and we will need to find things we have not got in hard copy. Plus hard copy itself fades.

So, get books they are best, printout what you must but keep a PC with files on for reference. I'm uploading 27Gb this week as a first cut with more to come. Try printing that out.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
13 March 2013, 21:23,
We have a laptop in a Faraday cage,...together with the solar panels of course
A major part of survival is invisibility.
18 June 2013, 01:43,
I've been putting together a library of prep PDFs and Word docs for about 5 years now. Nothing can beat a hard copy of a book for reliable available information, but the reality is that a thumbdrive is an easy way to have a wealth of information at your fingertips as long as the technology is in place to allow you to retrieve it.

I never would have been able to cart around my 80 gigs of information in hard copy form while I was still in the military; as an NCO in the early 90s it was all we could manage to take an ammo can of relevant field manuals to a training event.

Anyway, I've been making my collection available to those in the prep world on my side of the pond, and I hope those of you with similar PDF collections are doing the same.

For what its worth, it seems like much of the prep stuff is disappearing off the net, for whatever reason. I don't know if copyright holders are cracking down, or if those higher up don't want the information to be "out there". I guess you can put as much conspiracy theory into it as you want.
18 June 2013, 08:35,
kindle and ebook readers handle pdf files, and are much more battery friendly than laptops.
also easier to recharge from solar panels.
18 June 2013, 20:05,
I know this won't work in all cases, but there is something else one can do to preserve the info on the PDFs; practise the skills and try out the ideas described, so they become internalised. This real world experience, coupled with the documentation, then becomes a potent resource for passing the knowledge on to others (your kids?) post-SHTF. If the documentation (electronic or paper) does become inaccessible for some reason, the word-of-mouth option is then still there.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
18 June 2013, 21:27,
(18 June 2013, 20:05)Tarrel Wrote: I know this won't work in all cases, but there is something else one can do to preserve the info on the PDFs; practise the skills and try out the ideas described, so they become internalised. This real world experience, coupled with the documentation, then becomes a potent resource for passing the knowledge on to others (your kids?) post-SHTF. If the documentation (electronic or paper) does become inaccessible for some reason, the word-of-mouth option is then still there.

A good suggestion, but reference material will always be handy to have.