Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hedges
8 March 2013, 20:54,
Hedges
Not sure if this is the right section, but here goes. If I sound like a schoolmarm, I apologise in advance, but this a topic I'm familiar with.

If you have a bit of a blank area round your house, then a hedge is a great way to fill it with the potential to keep out unwanted intruders, animal or human; provide shade and habitat for flora and fauna; and potentially provide food for you.

I have spent several hours this morning putting in 25m of hedging in our field. My purpose was mainly to provide a stockproof barrier, but also to improve the security of the perimeter (so I shall also be adding some netting later). I chose blackthorn (sloe). I particularly wanted to use hedging that was indigenous to the country because I consider it important to maintain a natural balance. Blackthorn is not only a prickly horror, but it also provides a dense barrier that few animals will want to tangle with. There is also the additional blessing of sloes at a later date for that all-important sloe gin or vodka. The area I was planting is currently hedge-free, so I needed to make a choice of a bush that grows quickly. Blackthorn is pretty speedy and also has the additional benefit of spreading by suckering, which means that it grows from the base up. This is great for keeping a really dense hedge.

It is really important to choose the right hedge for your requirements. A lot of folk seem to favour the awful cupressus - the gardener's bane - and I can appreciate that a thick barrier of this planting can look impressive. It does have the benefit of growing very quickly and densely, and can provide a good deterrent to prying eyes. But, in my opinion, the cons far outweigh the pros. It is not difficult to force your way through; unless it is carefully pruned ( which takes time and effort on a regular basis) then it quickly produces areas of deadwood which do not grow back; it produces large quantities of dead "needles" which kill off anything which tries to grow in the surrounding area; and you are likely to annoy your neighbours if the trees get too high. Much better, in my view, to pick something which will provide a better deterrent to intruders (animal or human) and which hopefully will not necessitate too much attention.

If you are going to plant a hedge to improve the security at y our property, then try to think longer term. Very few hedges will grow quickly enough to give you a rapid return for your labour, and a mistake in choosing the wrong planting for your needs will result in time lost of maintenance or worse, replanting, and money lost. Not a great result. The sooner you start the better.

I have another hedge to deal with soon. This one is already in existence but needs repair. It consists mostly on may trees (hawthorn) and is, like blackthorn, prickly and unwelcoming. I shall be repairing it with maytree saplings. I am sure that plants recognise their own breeds and hope that the new saplings will integrate quickly.

Happy planting.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
8 March 2013, 22:09,
RE: Hedges
Hedges are great, far better than any other type of barrier, for us its one of those questions that came up,... `do we do everything as prepers, or do we also live with hope that nothing ever happens?`

In most cases we do what we do with preping in mind, except this one,..we live in a very beautiful spot, and we love the views we have, so although we do have some very good hedging, we have also opted for the views on one side,...so here we only have a small picket fence,... but shhh dont tell anyone
A major part of survival is invisibility.
8 March 2013, 22:15, (This post was last modified: 8 March 2013, 22:15 by Luci_ferson.)
ive bolted planters 2ft from the top of my 6ft fence and planted brambles in to grow over the top of it.
stop intruders coming over it.
same principal.
I even used the same excuse of itl promote wildlife lol

my misses loves wild birds
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson
10 March 2013, 16:48,
Personally, Luci, I think that brambles should be classed as a superplant. Terrific deterrent - who wants to pick brambles out of their skin for hours - and all that lovely free fruit for eating and making wine or liqueurs. As you say, also so helpful for wildlife.
10 March 2013, 19:53,
good post mary thanks...getting around to my fence shortly,on the boundry ...its a fair old run the first section is about 60 m then turns to stock fence for 140 mts...which will need new post here and there ..the good news is all the strainers are all railway sleepers and are ok
10 March 2013, 22:13, (This post was last modified: 10 March 2013, 22:17 by Luci_ferson.)
(10 March 2013, 16:48)MaryN Wrote: Personally, Luci, I think that brambles should be classed as a superplant. Terrific deterrent - who wants to pick brambles out of their skin for hours - and all that lovely free fruit for eating and making wine or liqueurs. As you say, also so helpful for wildlife.

I agree , you can grow brambles anywhere, zero effort and all reward.
excellent source of free sugars.

superfood, like eggs

and the best jam is bramble jam

(10 March 2013, 19:53)Straight Shooter Wrote: good post mary thanks...getting around to my fence shortly,on the boundry ...its a fair old run the first section is about 60 m then turns to stock fence for 140 mts...which will need new post here and there ..the good news is all the strainers are all railway sleepers and are ok

not too sure id leave them railway sleepers as fence posts,
you can use allsorts for fenceposts, them railway sleepers would make a lovely strong roof and retainers for a dugout.

not cheap to buy either, cos ive been looking lol
11 March 2013, 20:50,
They been there bout 20 years luci .....and yes they are expensive...they were then ....but you get what you pay for i spose.....earning good money then though ..wish i was earning half right now....such is life....but i,m happier mind you
11 March 2013, 21:24,
Another great barrier plant that will give you a good years harvest of fruit are Goosbury bushes
A major part of survival is invisibility.
11 March 2013, 21:38,
Oh yes, gooseberries. Prickly little wonder berries. Pity they don't grow terribly tall. Great to have a hedge and the possibility of a dessert all in one. Gooseberry tart...sigh!
11 March 2013, 22:02,
i forgot about the goosberry, might put them round the allotment fence, they dont get very high , and it would stop anyone jumping over,

how invasive are they, do they get out of control easy.