Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hedges
11 March 2013, 22:06,
RE: Hedges
(11 March 2013, 22:02)Luci_ferson Wrote: i forgot about the goosberry, might put them round the allotment fence, they dont get very high , and it would stop anyone jumping over,

how invasive are they, do they get out of control easy.

Not really invasive, they do shoot from the bottom, but if you prune out the older woody stems, you keep good healthy plants,.... just check before you do, to make sure you don't prune out the stems that hold the fruit, I cant remember if the fruit grows on old,.. second year,.. or new shoots
A major part of survival is invisibility.
11 March 2013, 22:12, (This post was last modified: 11 March 2013, 22:15 by Luci_ferson.)
thanks , i asked because theres a ruling in the tennancy that states we cant plan anything classwed as invasive up there.
no brambles or rhubarb or anything that would get out of hand if left unatended.

can plant rhubarb as long as its planted in something and not in the ground directly.

im planting some because its great for sugars and fibre.

easy to keep too.

want plenty of beetroot too,
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson
26 April 2015, 20:13,
oh look another great post....get the idea folks...?
28 April 2015, 18:02,
Just to follow up....hawthorn are by far the best....i have some gooseberries in amongst mine...but not easy to get at the fruit...it is possible to plant some assorted veg and herbs if your careful...hint ....if planting herb seedlings make a hole i use a grubbing bar to avoid the established root system of the hedge...using a piece of drain pipe push this down into the hole with the compost and seedling then pull the pipe out ...a bit of wood poking down the seedling as you remove the pipe...worked foe me.
28 April 2015, 18:34,
I'm a fan of Gooseberry hedges, SS is right about Hawthorn, and I'll add Blackthorn and the king of pain Pyrancantha.

[Image: Starr_050817-7524_Pyracantha_koidzumii.jpg]
28 April 2015, 21:27,
Oh yesss! Blackthorn, and of course you get to make sloe gin.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
18 October 2018, 08:51,
If we are talking about hedges or fences, I tried this tool GPS Fields Area Measure https://apple.co/2PdI9UT would suggest you to try it as well, it helped me to mark exact points and lines of it.