Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi From Northern Alberta Canada
10 March 2013, 13:32,
RE: Hi From Northern Alberta Canada
I think there is a vast difference between what you have and what we have. Sending any aid this way soon?
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
10 March 2013, 14:34,
Hi and welcome from Glasgow It sounds like you are in a good position over there Big Grin
10 March 2013, 15:47,
It is beautiful here no doubt, we are blessed. But it is not all roses. Here in the the north, you have to start prepping at an early age. You learn that you would mostly be on your own if you screw up or make a wrong turn. You have to keep a survival kit with you when you travel especially in the winter. In fact the Government warns and advises folks to be prepared. In the winter I have worked outdoors at minus 50C. You have to think always before you take even a usually mundane trip to town 15 miles away. At those temps you would die very quickly if your vehicle lets you down or you make a mistake and get off the road etc. Gardening is zone 1, you can't just throw seed around and expect a crop. You always have to find short season varieties. I can grow roses tho, but they must be very hardy. Mostly types developed by AgCanada for the north. You could get up in the morning and find a black bear or cougar eating out of the dogs dish outside on the porch. You have to keep predator control dogs if you raise livestock, or have grandkids, as the coyotes run in packs and will swoop in if they get a chance. Thanks For the Kind words.
10 March 2013, 16:00, (This post was last modified: 10 March 2013, 16:01 by Luci_ferson.)
id take a few brown bears over a few thousand heroin addicts.
wonder if we can get our countries to do a trade lol.

oops black bear i mean, my geography is about as good as my rocket science. (actually my rocket science is better)
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson
10 March 2013, 17:32,
Welcome to the forum.

Luci they reintroduced 20 bears in france and there breeding succesfully. Dont see the idea catching on unfortunatly.
10 March 2013, 17:44,
Welcome from the Scottish Highlands, .... most of my life I have had the overwhelming desire to take a dog sled team up the Yukon River,... I have even got as far as learning how to drive 16 dogs,... at the moment, I have to make do with driving three,..Smile
A major part of survival is invisibility.
10 March 2013, 21:33, (This post was last modified: 10 March 2013, 21:43 by RFB.)
Hi again, I keep forgetting we have many hours between us, I am on Mountain Time here. Luci we have Grizzly around here and Black Bears. Brown Bears are just overgrown Grizzly that live along the coast of Alaska nad BC. They feed mostly on salmon. Same as the Kodiak, they are a Grizzly that lives on the Kodiak Island of Alaska and have been found at 14 ft high when standing on their hind legs. Now you know why we never go in the bush around here without a heavy rifle. I carry a 45-70 Marlin when I know the Grizz are around with 400 plus grain hard cast bullets. With a problem bear you never get more than 1 or 2 shots if you are lucky. Largest predator on the planet. Pick up an AFrican Lion in its teeth and shake it like a doll. Or any other predator. It fears absolutely nothing not even man sometimes. Keeping all this in mind, many years a native woman picking berries in the fall killed a Grizzly near here with one shot from a .22 in the side of the head, a record bear. But she had nerves of steel and waited for her shot. She had no choice as the bear was folling her scent and was very very close. They can be taken with light calibres but only when they are not riled up.

Here is a picture of the native woman her .22 and the Grizzly she killed with it. http://www.angelfire.com/on2/LandOwner/i...IZLEY2.JPG

Pictures of a huge Brown Bear in Alaska. http://waterandwoods.net/2008/09/worlds-...zzly-bear/
10 March 2013, 23:01, (This post was last modified: 10 March 2013, 23:15 by Luci_ferson.)
(10 March 2013, 17:32)Metroyeti Wrote: Welcome to the forum.

Luci they reintroduced 20 bears in france and there breeding succesfully. Dont see the idea catching on unfortunatly.

ahh but did france get to send any heroin addicts into the wilderness.

send them 100 miles into the wilderness (bear country)
then they would either die trying to get back, or be cured by the time they found their way back.
sounds like a win win situation.

RFB ive got to say, ive seen a few bears close up, but always with something between us, and being honest they scare the crap out of me, im 6ft im not really used to animals looking down on me like im a puppy.
anyone who actually gos out looking to shoot one no matter how big his gun is one brave man.(or woman)
they never look as big dead as they do when theyre alive, and when they stood up they down right scarey.

still swap them for a few heroin addicts though,
A bear wont attack you or a tenner bag
and i never carry picnic baskets lol
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson
14 March 2013, 18:55,
Welcome to the forum mate Smile
Winter is coming