Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cow Juice
13 March 2013, 16:36,
RE: Cow Juice
Nutritionally baby formula is very useful in an emergency... but it tastes like lizard jizz.
13 March 2013, 17:30,
How do you know what that tastes like?

I had some powdered milk that was past its expiry date, its an aquired taste on cereal, but nothing you wouldnt get used to. Also good in angel delight.
13 March 2013, 19:06,
Has anyone considered just trying to milk a cow post SHTF and drinking unpasteurised milk?

I've been reading a bit on the pro's and cons of 'raw' milk and have decided that I'd give it a go post SHTF but I'd probably boil it first to reduce some of the bacteria that will be present in it.
At the moment it is illegal in the UK to buy it from a supermarket or shop but it is legal to buy it direct from the farmer.

Has anyone tried it?
Respect existence or expect resistance!
13 March 2013, 19:19,
(13 March 2013, 19:06)Ghost Wrote: Has anyone considered just trying to milk a cow post SHTF and drinking unpasteurised milk?

I've been reading a bit on the pro's and cons of 'raw' milk and have decided that I'd give it a go post SHTF but I'd probably boil it first to reduce some of the bacteria that will be present in it.
At the moment it is illegal in the UK to buy it from a supermarket or shop but it is legal to buy it direct from the farmer.

Has anyone tried it?

I know some states in the US are already making it illegal to purchase from farmers, or anyone. There are supposed to be health benefits from drinking it before it's had all the goodness burnt out of it (pasturised) but then again there are also studies that come to the conclusion that milk is bad for you full stop. Humans are the only animal that drinks the milk of another animal, which evidently isn't natural.

If you want to try it I wouldn't wait til after TSHTF, I'd give it a go now, while there's still doctors to visit. Just in case Big Grin
13 March 2013, 21:00,
(13 March 2013, 19:06)Ghost Wrote: Has anyone considered just trying to milk a cow post SHTF and drinking unpasteurised milk?

Has anyone tried it?

Blimey, we lived on `raw` milk until I went to secondary school, I remember standing next to my dad while he was milking waiting on my mug full,... most folk back then loved warm milk straight from the cow,... but I could never drink it without making it cold first.

It never did us any harm
A major part of survival is invisibility.
13 March 2013, 21:07,
(13 March 2013, 21:00)Highlander Wrote:

Has anyone tried it?

Blimey, we lived on `raw` milk until I went to secondary school, I remember standing next to my dad while he was milking waiting on my mug full,... most folk back then loved warm milk straight from the cow,... but I could never drink it without making it cold first.

It never did us any harm

you never hear of smallholders that have house cows having any problems either
13 March 2013, 21:19,
There was no particular treatment of the milk before making butter or cheese either,....and we had all that by the bucket full,.... Oh they were the days, I can taste it all now, nothing has ever beaten the taste of homemade butter
A major part of survival is invisibility.
13 March 2013, 22:48,
Camel milk is meant to be even better for you than cows milk.
14 March 2013, 11:49,
Milk is one of the things I never really thought about having post SHTF. Even though I drink Tea with Milk in it, I wonder how long we will need Milk if there is no tea or Coffee to drink?
The only answer is to make Beer in its various forms, small beer for everyday drinking and full beer for quaffing, it's what all our ancestors drank including the kids. Small beer is a very weak but malty drink full of goodness mmmmmm
14 March 2013, 12:05,
wife had raw milk on her cereal every morning when she was farming without any ill effects. TH our ancestors drank beer cos the water was bad!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.