Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Family Life
10 March 2013, 20:43,
RE: Family Life
ive even tried suggesting to a few others they should prep too.
explained its better to prep and not need it than not prep and need it.
theyre not interested, they just want the latest i-phone
usually their response is a dumb one, ( I cant wait I hope it happens, il be straight out there looting)
they cant seem to grasp the concept that electronics would be useless. therefore pointless taking.
I came to the conclusion long ago that most people would actually hinder my chances of survival rather than improve it.

no i dont want to take in a load of unprepped sheeple after tshtf.
yes id love to be in a commune of some sort.
would i want my own commune, no chance , I couldnt be responsible for that many people , im not that kind of person.
Im not really much of a team player, I like to do things myself but that can still be usefull in a commune.
id rather build you a shed, than build one with you. id rather dig your field than dig it with you.
im sure theres others like me , probably even some already in a commune somewhere.
I assume the commune finds ways to get the most benefit out of these people
Right person for the right job. and if not then im sure id learn to work with others. im human its what we were really designed to do.
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson
11 March 2013, 00:16,
(10 March 2013, 16:46)MaryN Wrote: So many of the posts I have seen on here seem to involve the writer heading off (post troubles) on his own into the bush to play hermit or "lone wolf". Interesting proposition, but are any of you planning to round up any of the outer circle of your families, such as parents, siblings or even other relatives, to try and help them survive?

Just to expand the thread a bit further, have any of you considered communal living. By this I mean sharing accommodation and skills to help each other along?

Some years ago I spent two years living on a tiny island in the Pacific, and looking back and, in context of all the info on this site, I realise that it was pretty similar to some of the scenarios outlined here. No electricity for the native dwellings, grow, fish or forage for food, and a general very strong sense of community. Probably very similar to many of the third-world countries in the world today, and so different to the civilisation of the UK. What strikes me now is how vital cooperation was to that tiny community. More hands helping with the fishing nets meant more fish caught; more help with building huts helped everyone.

I just wonder if the concept of lone-wolfism would actually work for very long - I suspect not.

What a great post.

I'd like to eventually prep for my extended family (both parents, sister & her kids, mother in law plus sis in law & her kid). Sadly in reality I don't think its going to happen. I obviously wouldn't turn any family member away if they turned up after any sort of event but they would be a drain on my resources I couldn't really afford as it stands just now.

Again I would love to all get together under 1 roof but in reality I bet there would be a bit of bitching going on (mainly from my mother).
11 March 2013, 00:22,
shame reality is harsher than wed like, otherwise wed prep for 100 people each.
11 March 2013, 01:05,
You will find I'm always going on about prepping for the family. Our family is pretty close. I do have relatives that live some distance away but my immediate family is all around here.

My preps are for them mainly. They are our future.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
11 March 2013, 01:30,
Almost everything I do is for the family.

I have about 6 months of normal life after the "event". After the heart medications are gone I will not last long. I have that amount of time to get them educated on the locations of the caches of materials and rescources. They already know how to use them. The sons, daughters and DILs are a very rescourceful and intelligent bunch.

Only hesitation I have is that my daughter married a sot that is dumb as a post!
11 March 2013, 02:01,
Id say my mother and her husband have an excellent chance of surviving whatever the initial event was since they both have a strange obsession (its an understatement)with security and their house is like fort knoxx
instead of losing their marbles they seem to be collecting keys.
which means it would be down to me to go get them, cos sister surely wouldnt
luckily id have a large amount of time to get them since they always overstock on everything.
right down to the 20 bottles of smirnoff which neither actually drink anymore but they still compulsively buy and the cupboard full of cigs cos she gets them whenever she gos on holiday, which is about 5 times a year (probably why all the security)
as for lack of heating, her husband wont let her put it on (skin flint) so she wouldnt notice anyway.
they could live there for months and nobody would ever know they were there.
Actually , If i didnt know better id say they were prepping.
11 March 2013, 11:55,
I would never forgive myself if I let my family down. I would probably want to herd the neighbours as well - my God, I'm turning into a Collie!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
11 March 2013, 12:07,
i think if we could, most of us would prep for the entire surrounding area. but we cant.
of course most of us will end up taking in a few stragglers. its bound to happen.
but every person we take in , makes our stocks go quicker and will strain our rescources.
ive packed a few extras of things but its not much.
my familly has to come first.
its really gonna be hard to decide who to help and who not to,
I guess its something you cant practice for. its the one thing that were just gonna have to hope we do the right thing at the right time and hope we make the best choice when it happens.
11 March 2013, 14:02,
(10 March 2013, 20:43)Luci_ferson Wrote: I came to the conclusion long ago that most people would actually hinder my chances of survival rather than improve it.
Couldnt agree more.
I'm like you in that I have my immediate family, total seven.

Mini tribe.

Dont bother telling sheeple anything, all they can hear is you asking them about their Iphone or corrie or emmerdale...

BUT they remember you said YOU were prepping so now the shits gone down and they have no food you do and you told them in so many words...

Lets hope they dont know where you live...UndecidedUndecided
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
11 March 2013, 14:06,
its called OPSEC...tell NO ONE you have food stocks(maybe immediate family...but NOT the neighbours!)we are prepping for us only, 2 + the dog..thats it!!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.