Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pressure cooking
15 November 2011, 00:23,
Pressure cooking
One of the best bits of kit you can buy.

An airtight lid on a pan. Heat it with liquid inside and steam builds up. This raises pressure, which raises the boiling point, keeps heat in and cooks food quicker and with less fuel than normally required.

Get one before it kicks off. Use it / learn how to use it.

Combine it with a hay box (insulated box) to conserve fuel even further - something I intend to do in the near future!

If there is enough interest, I will periodically post a few recipes etc......
15 November 2011, 01:57,
RE: Pressure cooking
I think that recipes are a good idea. You can't have too many of them. I fear that in a survival situation you will need to vary the dishes. Probably your foods will be limited and if you can vary the recipes it will help you to enjoy your food. Boiled wheat, oats, potatoes, carrots etc., will probably become tiresome after a while. Kenneth Eames.
15 November 2011, 12:54,
I agree. Especially recipes suited for something like a pressure cooker. I have one but haven't used it for a while.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
15 November 2011, 19:02,
Pressure cookers are a great asset. We have one and it saves a great deal of electricity and of course its a great saver timewise. Hay boxes are great as well. Boil your dinner before going to work, when boiling place in the hay box and when you arrive home in the evening lift out of the pot and there is a delicious well cooked meal ready for you to eat. Kenneth Eames.
15 November 2011, 19:37,
We've had the same "Prestige" pressure cooker for 30 years, a quality bit of kit. Stock up on 1/2 a dozen seals for the lid (less than a fiver each on Amazon) and it will outlive you by a long way