Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Antibiotic resistant Virus update 12/3/13
12 March 2013, 14:02, (This post was last modified: 12 March 2013, 14:04 by Ghost.)
Antibiotic resistant Virus update 12/3/13
Within twenty years all routine operations could become potential death sentences as we slide back toward an age of infection not seen for a 100 years

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21737844

But is the threat as serious as terrorism?

Drug company's have not invested any money in discovering new antibiotics for 25 years because there is no profit to be made in their production? Really??

(12 March 2013, 14:02)Ghost Wrote: Within twenty years all routine operations could become potential death sentences as we slide back toward an age of infection not seen for a 100 years

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21737844

But is the threat as serious as terrorism?

Drug company's have not invested any money in discovering new antibiotics for 25 years because there is no profit to be made in their production? Really??

Does this mean that as preppers we are wasting our time storing any form of antibiotic?
Respect existence or expect resistance!
12 March 2013, 16:46,
RE: Antibiotic resistant Virus update 12/3/13
It would seem so (waste of time) if an event was going to happen in 20 years - the antibiotics of today would apparently be useless if you go by this info ,but if they haven't made any new ones for 25 years then obviously the ones we needed half a century ago are still effective 20 years on. If theres an outbreak or shtf next year then of course it's not a waste of time to store now, even if you just had minor infection or wanted to prevent infection from injury etc and needed antibiotics, atleast you wouldn't have to go the docs and risk yourself of catching the disease during an outbreak.
12 March 2013, 16:58,
(12 March 2013, 14:02)Ghost Wrote: Does this mean that as preppers we are wasting our time storing any form of antibiotic?

I don't believe so,... I think that when they talk about antibiotics becoming no good to us, they are talking about the population on a whole.

Antibiotics act well in the human body providing we don't over do it and take too many, so as the body becomes amune to them,.. if this happens the antibiotics have nothing left to fight infection

If we are people who very rarely take antibiotics, then our bodies haven't yet go used to them,.. so their healing ability is still ok.

The antibiotics haven't changed, its the way they are proscribed thats the problem,... we can go to the doctors these days and get antibiotics for everything,... and that in my opinion is abusing the medication
A major part of survival is invisibility.
12 March 2013, 17:26,
Highlander,

I think you may have this back to front...

The infectious diseases that were once stopped dead by antibiotics that they had never encountered before have evolved and developed immunity to those antibiotics.

Because antibiotics are freely prescribed now, there is a far bigger population in which the diseases are exposed. More exposure eventually equates to more disease variants that are resistant to the antibiotics.

I don't think it has anything to do with any individual person having not used antibiotics before, as the antibiotics are not designed to strengthen our innate capability to fight disease, just to liquidate the disease on their own.

Does this make sense? I am very happy to be proven wrong by someone who truly understands these things.

This is just my 2p s worth.
conscius et paratum
12 March 2013, 17:36,
(12 March 2013, 17:26)Digger Wrote: Highlander,

I think you may have this back to front...

The infectious diseases that were once stopped dead by antibiotics that they had never encountered before have evolved and developed immunity to those antibiotics.

Because antibiotics are freely prescribed now, there is a far bigger population in which the diseases are exposed. More exposure eventually equates to more disease variants that are resistant to the antibiotics.

I don't think it has anything to do with any individual person having not used antibiotics before, as the antibiotics are not designed to strengthen our innate capability to fight disease, just to liquidate the disease on their own.

Does this make sense? I am very happy to be proven wrong by someone who truly understands these things.

This is just my 2p s worth.

This is what I have been led to believe as well.
It is the virus' that have evolved to beat the antibiotics, it is irrelevant if you have taken loads of them or not.

I can't remember the last time I had to take antibiotics this doesn't means they will be more effective on me than they are on Joe sheeple who has been taking them nearly every time he gets a sniffle!
12 March 2013, 17:41,
Well I do see your point Digger, and much of what you say is correct,.. maybe its a bit of both.

I did read somewhere about the far too frequent use of antibiotics, and the medication doing just what I said earlier,.. you are right of course there are illnesses that have now become immune to the treatment, but for most `usual` complaints [ I would think the ones that would effect most of us ] the antibiotics we have now will do us for many, many years to come
A major part of survival is invisibility.
12 March 2013, 17:47,
Does anyone know if there is a way to store antibiotics that will extend their shelf life? I'm thinking post SHTF so refrigeration will be out !
12 March 2013, 17:58,
the victorians had something they called an "ice house" some kind of outhouse full of ice they kept their meat in...maybe something on those lines?
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
12 March 2013, 18:07,
People do not become resistant, rather it is the microbes you are targeting that become resistant to antibiotics. It's natural selection. You wipe out all the bacteria except the ones who are resistant, which can then multiply and thrive due to the lack of competition.

We are engaged in an arms race with bacteria. The problem is that we haven't found a new group of antibiotics since the mid 80's, and lots of our current antibiotics are losing effectiveness due to the emergence of more and more resistance. We could see a return to 19th century style medicine, with simple infections posing real dangers to life.

Some medicines like tetracyline become toxic with age, but I think that the most important thing is keeping them in a cool, dry dark place with little fluctuation of any of those factors.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
12 March 2013, 20:24,
degree in Biochemistry and did microbiology in all the years

never once mentioned that humans were becoming immune to antibiotics it was always the microboes becoming resistant

It's been irritating the hell out of me how the radio kept saying human become resistant

to me this could cause a problem in the way the news reports it ..... say you listen to the news and think no more antibiotics have a few cold but then get something that is more serious but it could be treated by antibiotic but as you listened to the news a few years back you don't get the antibiotic leading to some serious health problems.

the issue is down to the over use of antibiotics that has lead to the resistant strains of the bugs doctors were at on stage handing them out for everything even if you didn't need them or couldn't be treated by them (antibiotics do NOT work on viruses)