Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Currency during a pandemic ...
13 March 2013, 16:24,
RE: Currency during a pandemic ...
(13 March 2013, 15:15)JohnKent Wrote: @BigPaul,

"isnt this why we prep? for just such a risk as this?"

I thought about your question and came to the conclusion I don't have a clue which of the possible disasters people are prepping for. Has anyone ever carried out a poll on this ?.

ok, but isnt this why we have food stocks so in an emergency ? so we dont have to go to the shops and put ourselves in danger, either from disease or the mobs!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
13 March 2013, 17:10,
not everyone has food stocks though.

I've always got non perishable food in the cupboards, there are THOUSANDS of sheep and cows up my end, i'll not starve Big Grin

as for currency, the only thing i'll have to trade is gear to be honest, whatever i have in my BOBs at the time
13 March 2013, 18:05,
@BigPaul.

I will try and answer your question. It is difficult to predict the nature of a pandemic that has not happened yet and not very much is known about the last one in 1918. Hwever, scientists believe that it will follow the normal behavior patterns for this kind of virus, in that it will appear in waves, with the peaks two years apart.

For those going into voluntary quarantine this raises a problem about the amount of food, that would be required for a two year period. For two people it is estimated that enough food for two years equates to two garages packed solid with food from floor to ceiling. That is about the size of the problem.

The virus does not have a brain and consists only of a few strands of DNA and protien, but it continually mutates in order to improve itself and since it has no brain it does this randomly. At the moment the fear is that one more mutation will produce a highly contagious pandemic worthy strain, with a high a high morbidity and mortality rate. Since mutation is an ongoing process it is possible that eventually shoot itself in the foot and mutate to a less harmful one. No one knows.
13 March 2013, 18:12,
i think you are overestimating the amount of food needed for 2 years....if indeed that was the actual time scale which i dont believe for one minute. we have enough food for (at least) 6 months probably longer if we exercise a bit of "portion control" and it dosent take up that much room, ok so if your scenario is right we would have to increase food stocks by X4 but its still do able.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
13 March 2013, 18:16,
I think the main issue with a pandemic is how far it could spread without people realizing until its to late
13 March 2013, 18:23,
i expect it to strike in our overpopulated, multi cultural cities first, which will give us rural dwellers a bit of a warning first.
13 March 2013, 18:38,
(12 March 2013, 22:12)JohnKent Wrote: What you could think about is how you can convert whatever de-valuing 'currency' you now use, into something tangible that will increase in value over the short and long term. No, it is not gold, silver, or tins of beans, but hidden away at the back of your mind is an answer that is peculiar to you. What can you legally buy right now and sell for four times the price tomorrow ?. Whatever it is, don't tell anyone about it, just do it !.

I'd like to know what you're on about here. These "I know something you don't know" threads are all but useless...
13 March 2013, 18:40,
(13 March 2013, 18:38)BeardyMan Wrote:
(12 March 2013, 22:12)JohnKent Wrote: What you could think about is how you can convert whatever de-valuing 'currency' you now use, into something tangible that will increase in value over the short and long term. No, it is not gold, silver, or tins of beans, but hidden away at the back of your mind is an answer that is peculiar to you. What can you legally buy right now and sell for four times the price tomorrow ?. Whatever it is, don't tell anyone about it, just do it !.

I'd like to know what you're on about here. These "I know something you don't know" threads are all but useless...

sounds to me like he's trying to make a sale here!!Big GrinBig Grin
13 March 2013, 18:45,
Fed up of reading this....moving on to quantum physics
13 March 2013, 18:46,
(13 March 2013, 18:40)bigpaul Wrote:
(13 March 2013, 18:38)BeardyMan Wrote:

sounds to me like he's trying to make a sale here!!Big GrinBig Grin

Roll up, roll up, roll up. Come and buy all the Virkon you'll ever need! Wink