Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First attempt at proper food storage
15 March 2013, 22:04,
First attempt at proper food storage
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tibbs735/8560801316/
I had a growing pile of staple foods like rice and beans that were just sitting around in thin, plastic sacks. It should last several years in its current form.

I did not want to follow the American route of messing around with massive, plastic buckets and mylar bags. I also could not find dry ice for sale anywhere. So I bought some 5 liter jerrycans from here:

http://www.ampulla.co.uk/Shop-For-Plasti...0-136-639/

They came fairly quickly, within a few days at the same time as the Ebay'd sachets of silica gel and O2 absorbers.
They each take around 5200 grams of rice, or 4800 grams of beans. That's around 34 150 gram servings of rice per jerrycan. They each contain 1 sachet of silica gel and O2 absorber.

I hope you find my method useful; I wanted to contribute something real to this site.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
15 March 2013, 22:08,
RE: First attempt at proper food storage
interesting

like the 5l black jerry can

I've used plastic bottles and diy oxygen absorber as posted on here a while back
15 March 2013, 22:32,
I just leave mine as it is. Never, ever, heard of rice or pasta "going off" - the stuff we're eating at the moment is about 3 years old, still in its original packaging. Tastes fine. Well, as good as rice ever does (3rd world slop IMHO)

I do like the barrels though, would make transporting it in a hurry very handy. Also, if you could get different colour lids then you could get away without labelling the contents. Might make anyone who may come across your stash hesitant to open it, or if they're looking for food they may even ignore it completely. Peel a couple of the stickers off of the "Domestos" bottles and stick it on these, and Robert's Your Mothers Brother.
15 March 2013, 23:13,
I have most stuff in 4 litre zip bags, but packed a lot in 1litre bags too. Like to keep things easily portable. not very handy to carry a 5 gallon bucket around, eh?

smaller bags i think may be useful for trading, holds about .5 kg of flour
16 March 2013, 01:33,
that's really interesting, thanks. I store our dry stores in 500g vacuum sealed packs but it would be nice to have some bigger packs
Do not rush to meet Death, he may not wish to see you.