Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shrimping
18 March 2013, 21:36,
RE: Shrimping
Those weaver fish sound like horrible little buggers! I bought one of these for when we go out crabbing - just waiting for the arrival of some sunshine (and the net itself!)

Will this be any good for shrimp? I'm trying to find a source for cray fish locally
18 March 2013, 21:51,
If you find a source of crayfish, don't tell anyone you're going & be very careful for the fuzz or water bailiffs. If they catch you, you will be in a spot of bother.

If you do find them though, you're a lucky bugger Smile
18 March 2013, 22:00,
(18 March 2013, 21:51)Geordie_Rob Wrote: If you find a source of crayfish, don't tell anyone you're going & be very careful for the fuzz or water bailiffs. If they catch you, you will be in a spot of bother.

If you do find them though, you're a lucky bugger Smile

Cheers for the heads up Rob!
I thought they were okay to catch?
18 March 2013, 22:07,
Not sure about crayfish thinj you need a permit/license?

Im new to fishing but everything you catch has to be a over a certain size. Been warned about the bailiffs, if you catch anything legal,ilegal and some random comes up and asks what youve caught your best to say no.
18 March 2013, 22:20,
Hhmmmm, apparently they are quite numerous in the rivers Kennet and Lambourne. Not too far from me - might have to stop on the way home from work Big Grin
19 March 2013, 09:41,
if you take out the American crayfish...which is in most of our rivers now...their bigger than the native ones(of course) than you'll be doing the British ones a favour.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
19 March 2013, 13:41,
Signal crayfish (American ones) eat their own young so taking adult crayfish makes the population grow rather than decline (god knows how having more of something that tastes yummy is a bad thing Smile ) so they very rarely give permits to individuals to catch them.

Having said that, if you were to set a trap "to target eels" or something not restricted & you get a couple of crayfish in the trap, it's then illegal to release them back into the wild. The law stated they must be dispatched & disposed of. I have read cooking is a good way to dispatch "unwanted" crayfish & inserting the cooked meat into the stomach of the human species via the mouth is a very good way of disposing of them Smile Also a tin of tuna in sunflower oil is supposedly good at attracting crayfish to traps so you better not put one of those in. I read a couple of nail holes in the top & bottom of the tuna tin is a very effective method of releasing the scent trail. Again best not to do this as you don't want to be accused of secretly targeting crays with your eel trap.
19 March 2013, 13:57,
I have never tried crab,lobster or crayfish. Going tohave to investigate these traps.
19 March 2013, 23:07,
Crayfish traps http://www.fishsouthwest.co.uk/forsalecrayfish.htm also googled eel traps and a few articles came up about otters drowning in traps, so I wouldnt use them if theres otters in your area
19 March 2013, 23:56,
(19 March 2013, 23:07)Metroyeti Wrote: Crayfish traps http://www.fishsouthwest.co.uk/forsalecrayfish.htm also googled eel traps and a few articles came up about otters drowning in traps, so I wouldnt use them if theres otters in your area

Good find. Shame the discounts for multiple purchases aren't very good, might have been worth approaching them for a group buy. I'm happy to investigate tomorrow an see if there's another supplier who would do a better rate if people are interested in getting some of these? I'd fancy 4 or 5 fer meself.