Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shrimping
22 March 2013, 23:51,
RE: Shrimping
(18 March 2013, 21:36)BeardyMan Wrote: Those weaver fish sound like horrible little buggers! I bought one of these for when we go out crabbing - just waiting for the arrival of some sunshine (and the net itself!)

Will this be any good for shrimp? I'm trying to find a source for cray fish locally

I think you're in luck BM. About two years ago I seem to remember that there was an official invitation for people to fish for the American variety in Hampshire rivers in an attempt to cull them. I think a permit had to be obtained, and I thing as part of that permit there had to be an undertaking that everything caught would be destroyed ( or consumed).
conscius et paratum
25 April 2013, 10:48,
Just got a collapsable crab pot will be testing it this afternoon
25 April 2013, 13:16,
(25 April 2013, 10:48)Metroyeti Wrote: Just got a collapsable crab pot will be testing it this afternoon

let us no how it goes ,some pics would be good
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
25 April 2013, 21:12,
You do need a licence for crays, you get one from the Environment Agency. Depends on the area of the country and what problems are happening in that area with American crayfish and number of natives. If you have a decent population of native, you are unlikely to get a licence.

As for eels, unless you have been licensed since 2008, you will not get a permit.

I have made bottle traps for shrimp in the past to catch them in the estuary to use them as bait for Flounders but not to eat.

If you want net, use these chaps:

http://www.advancednetting.co.uk/shop/catalog/

If you can describe to them what you want it for, they will recommend the best for you. Works out much cheaper if you were after a long net to buy sheet netting and braid from them rather than spending £100+ on one 50 yard net.
25 April 2013, 22:07,
Not sure what there prices are like but theres a large white tower on the fish quay,north sheilds that has a fishing boat supplies. Got a few needles off him when I was messing about with ferret nets
26 April 2013, 10:07,
crab pots can also be used to catch pheasants as well!!!
17 May 2013, 19:31,
Can anyone recomend a bait for lobster?
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have" Thomas Jefferson
18 May 2013, 11:50,
(17 May 2013, 19:31)Metroyeti Wrote: Can anyone recomend a bait for lobster?

Yeah. A fish head or tail. Get yourself down the fish quay in the mornings & ask if they have any scraps for your pot. Just say you're taking a kid crabbing & they might give you it for nowt.
18 May 2013, 12:13, (This post was last modified: 18 May 2013, 12:14 by Metroyeti.)
Got some makeral works well for crabs, might leave someto go off and try that.

I know someone who caught a lobster at smiths dock last summer when out fishing. Had to breaks its claws off to fit it in the pan.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have" Thomas Jefferson
18 May 2013, 13:04,
You're a little bit up the coast from me Yeti, but have you been near the water!!!! it's sodding freezing, I swear i saw an Iceberg off BridSmile