Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Motorbike as a BOV, help please.
25 November 2013, 20:45, (This post was last modified: 25 November 2013, 20:49 by Midnitemo.)
RE: Motorbike as a BOV, help please.
bought one brand new in 1999 changed the oil every 1500 miles minor service at 3k full at 6k sold it with 68000 on the clock and the engine had never been apart , pushrods you gotta love em...as for smaller suzuki's dr's gs's you would have had 2 camchains in that time ... i currentley own a beta alp 52 reg with a 200 dr motor in it and i can tell you for definate certain it wont make anything like 40 k before it needs a rebuild let alone the 68k the cg did.

Overengineered compared to other small japanese commuter machines not as in like a 60's bmw!
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
25 November 2013, 20:51,
(25 November 2013, 20:45)Midnitemo Wrote: bought one brand new in 1999 changed the oil every 1500 miles minor service at 3k full at 6k sold it with 68000 on the clock and the engine had never been apart , pushrods you gotta love em...as for smaller suzuki's dr's gs's you would have had 2 camchains in that time ... i currentley own a beta alp 52 reg with a 200 dr motor in it and i can tell you for definate certain it wont make anything like 40 k before it needs a rebuild let alone the 68k the cg did.

Overengineered compared to other small japanese commuter machines not as in like a 60's bmw!

Our experiences must be different, never had a problem with gs125 cam chains when I serviced bikes - although with any 125 no matter how bullet proof all it needs is a couple of loony plated learners with no mechanical sympathy to foil the best laid plans of the japanese
25 November 2013, 20:57,
Love the CGs, fantastic little bikes that go on forever and a day with regular oil changes. Keep in mind though, you've got to know about setting up the points (and valve clearances) using feeler gauges and timing using a bulb holder etc.

Ah, those were the days... Big Grin
I'm NOT political so DON'T correct me!
25 November 2013, 20:58, (This post was last modified: 25 November 2013, 21:16 by Midnitemo.)
honda were just that bit better in finish and attention to detail...i can only compare like for like with my own vehicles the honda never rounded of bolt head ,stripped a thread had a gasket let go....the suzuki has done all those things on numerous occasions the cam chain tensioner is currently fully adjusted (new cam chain imminent) it burn's oil , so i'm expecting new rings and hone at the very least maybe a piston and rebore...33000 miles which i think is good but not as good as the honda.

just a thought if anybody is currently looking for a commuter/survival bike on a budget...peugeot are selling a 110cc chinese made step thru called the vox for £1299 at the mo...2 years warranty and hopefully better build quality than most chinese fare as peugeot have put there name to it...honda's equivalent is £1899.
25 November 2013, 23:52,
The Suzuki van van might be a good choice , my only concern is the odd balloon tyre's whilst great for sand and other soft terrain I think you would struggle to replace them and I fear in standard form after an event with rubbish , debris and scrap strewn all over those big tyres may prove more a hindrance picking up punctures rather than a boon
26 November 2013, 13:04,
a lot of the old 80s trail bikes had CDI ignition and you could run these without batteries, all you had to do was pick up the main wiring off the engine and you could still run lights and horn off it, but they would die if you didn't keep the engine revs up, after TSHTF you wont needs these so they can be discarded, even less weight to carry.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
28 November 2013, 21:55,
its all depends what you need

if your going max 50 miles or so with little gear a 50cc to 250cc or as a scot bike they are great
200 plus miles 2 up + gear you would need 600cc to 800cc

if your crossing a Europe in one go a motorhome with a bike trailer lol
29 November 2013, 01:13, (This post was last modified: 29 November 2013, 01:24 by Midnitemo.)
If you have to cross Europe to bug out then i'd say the game is up for you.....I would think 50 miles would be a major undertaking unless you jump the gun and start before the event.

From my experience i'd say two up with all the gear will negate a bikes big advantage namely the go anywhere off road option , I've tried taking mine off road solo with the luggage stripped of and boy is it a handfull .... I can't imagine how bad it would be with a 70kg passenger and 20-30kg of luggage...better two smaller bikes than one big one.