Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Motorbike as a BOV, help please.
18 March 2013, 16:16,
RE: Motorbike as a BOV, help please.
Oh, my comment on the Rokon has gone! Never mind, BeardyMan summed it up.

I love Rokons, they are pretty cool, but they are for hunting in swamps, not survual in the UK. You could spend years getting hold of old one and pay 4 tall figures for the privilege, when in the real world an old £400 Honda 125 would actually serve you better. Or even a C90! Vehicles that are common means spares will be common. Having the only Rokon of 1000 miles isn't the best tactic.
18 March 2013, 16:20,
(18 March 2013, 16:16)Tonka Wrote: Oh, my comment on the Rokon has gone! Never mind, BeardyMan summed it up.

I love Rokons, they are pretty cool, but they are for hunting in swamps, not survual in the UK. You could spend years getting hold of old one and pay 4 tall figures for the privilege, when in the real world an old £400 Honda 125 would actually serve you better. Or even a C90! Vehicles that are common means spares will be common. Having the only Rokon of 1000 miles isn't the best tactic.

That's a good point, but they're apparently super reliable and ultra rugged, so odds are (ignoring sods law...probably unwise) it'll outlast most others anyway.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
18 March 2013, 16:25,
(18 March 2013, 15:27)bigpaul Wrote: yep, get yourself an old bike and build a rat...you can then incorporate all the bits and bobs for attaching packs and stuff to.

Couldn't agree more. That is the way to go. I've done this many times.

It's cheap, a lot of fun, and you learn what you need to about the bike... so fixing it with scrap becomes second nature.
In fact if I have to actually buy a real part for my bikes, I feel a little bit guilty.

You may find some inspiration here:

[Image: reaper1.jpg]
http://www.ratbike.org/gallery.php
18 March 2013, 16:28,
yeah, that link reminds me, my ex had a CX500 and sidecar..that was some beasty and SOLID? well it had to be-she wasnt exactly small!!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
18 March 2013, 16:29,
(18 March 2013, 16:20)Scythe13 Wrote: That's a good point, but they're apparently super reliable and ultra rugged, so odds are (ignoring sods law...probably unwise) it'll outlast most others anyway.

That's kind of wishful logic. I would talk you out of it, but if you do actually get one a) I will eat seagulls face in shock and b) it would still be cool.
18 March 2013, 16:29, (This post was last modified: 18 March 2013, 16:31 by Scythe13.)
(18 March 2013, 16:28)bigpaul Wrote: yeah, that link reminds me, my ex had a CX500 and sidecar..that was some beasty and SOLID? well it had to be-she wasnt exactly small!!

Sounds like you had great taste in women back then BP haha.

(18 March 2013, 16:29)Tonka Wrote:
(18 March 2013, 16:20)Scythe13 Wrote: That's a good point, but they're apparently super reliable and ultra rugged, so odds are (ignoring sods law...probably unwise) it'll outlast most others anyway.
That's kind of wishful logic. I would talk you out of it, but if you do actually get one a) I will eat seagulls face in shock and b) it would still be cool.

How do you like your Seagull Faces? With or without ketchup?

Looking into costs for shipping and the rest as we speak. If it's viable, it'll be a few years in the coming, but I don't really think anything will happen too soon to warrant me NEEDING one.
18 March 2013, 16:32,
(18 March 2013, 16:29)Scythe13 Wrote:
(18 March 2013, 16:28)bigpaul Wrote: yeah, that link reminds me, my ex had a CX500 and sidecar..that was some beasty and SOLID? well it had to be-she wasnt exactly small!!

Sounds like you had great taste in women back then BP haha.

I STILL DO!!!Big GrinBig Grin when you eventually meet myself and the OH you wont forget us ever again!!Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
18 March 2013, 16:36,
cythe13 Wrote:
Looking into costs for shipping and the rest as we speak. If it's viable, it'll be a few years in the coming, but I don't really think anything will happen too soon to warrant me NEEDING one.

And in the meantime, buy an old 400cc single and customise it. You won't regret it.

If I saw a good Rokon about at a fair price, I would get one as a toy to ride in the harbour... I just know I won't find one. But if you do get one, I'd want to try it!

I like ketchup with my seagull face btw.
18 March 2013, 16:46,
(18 March 2013, 16:36)Tonka Wrote: cythe13 Wrote:

And in the meantime, buy an old 400cc single and customise it. You won't regret it.

If I saw a good Rokon about at a fair price, I would get one as a toy to ride in the harbour... I just know I won't find one. But if you do get one, I'd want to try it!

I like ketchup with my seagull face btw.

You're welcome to have a go on it when I get it.

The Rat Bike thing does sound like fun.....but I can't weld....never had an opportunity to learn to do so.
18 March 2013, 16:58,
(18 March 2013, 16:46)Scythe13 Wrote: The Rat Bike thing does sound like fun.....but I can't weld....never had an opportunity to learn to do so.

But you can drill and bolt! that's all you need... and of course hack bits off with an angle grinder... we are talking Rat here!
I used to weld, untill a little, um, fire involving oxyacetylene canisters that required the evacuation of the village, and made national news... but lets not get into that.

I don't have any welding kit anymore, but that doesn't stop me.

Oh, you will also need to be able to spray matt black and olive drab spray paint... I think you could manage all that though.