Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
micro greenhouse? :)
20 March 2013, 07:13,
micro greenhouse? :)
just had an idea Big Grin however please forgive me if it has been suggested before or is stupidly reddiculous.

for those that have small homes where the option to grow your own food outside might not be viable (lacking in security, flats, bad weather etc)

how about fish tanks? Big Grin

now fish tanks are normally mostly glass so they will allow some natural light in, they can be fitted (if they arnt already) with heaters and lighting, you can pick used tanks up secondhand pretty cheep and theres loads of other benefits too Smile

this could give you a steady year round supply of fresh food (might not be much but something is better than nothing Big Grin
Winter is coming
20 March 2013, 10:27,
RE: micro greenhouse? :)
Basically Hydrophonics but with stuff scavanged from abandoned hiouses.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
20 March 2013, 11:39,
some people growing plankton in fish tanks. stuff is really good for you. even sold in tablet forms as a health supplement.
20 March 2013, 13:31,
Rush,

First I've heard of plankton. Any links?
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
20 March 2013, 20:10,
ive heard of people using algee grown in tanks as a prepping food suppliment, you can live on it but it does take a lot to live on and naturally water is also an issue, in that you need a lot to grow an amount you could actually live on. but as a suppliment it is an option Big Grin

i was just thinking pre SHTF you could have yourself a little herb garden on the go all year round in you sitting room Smile would be pretty easy to maintain i would think Big Grin plus as you said SD after an even you could potentially scavange the gear after an event Big Grin
Winter is coming
20 March 2013, 21:03,
heres a decent looking link to growing spirulina at home:

http://www.algaeindustrymagazine.com/gro...a-at-home/
21 March 2013, 00:51,
you know when i first heard about this stuff i was very excited. then i lost interest because i thought it would not be sustainable without electrical power to maintain temperature, etc.
when i had a second look at it today i'm considering trying it now, then drying the harvested material. would be much cheaper than buying the tablets, plus good experience. in a powder like form should store well.
21 March 2013, 11:50,
Duckweed is high in protein and nutrients.

I'm 90% sure it's duckweed.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin