Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cyprus Unclosed
21 March 2013, 15:26, (This post was last modified: 21 March 2013, 15:30 by Highlander.)
RE: Cyprus Unclosed
I have Premium bonds,... and I have just won £25, now thats not a lot, but it could be the interest you pay into a bank,...last year my Premium bonds netted me £175,.... I only have a few grand, so I am happy enough for the time being,...and as S.S just said there is always the chance of a bigger win,...something that the bank cant give you

...but this has nothing to do with Cyprus

In fact I don't even receive the cheque, but this is my choice, I have opted to have my winnings turned into more Bonds,... they just send me the new numbers
A major part of survival is invisibility.
21 March 2013, 15:43,
(21 March 2013, 15:26)Highlander Wrote: I have Premium bonds,... and I have just won £25, now thats not a lot, but it could be the interest you pay into a bank,...last year my Premium bonds netted me £175,.... I only have a few grand, so I am happy enough for the time being,...and as S.S just said there is always the chance of a bigger win,...something that the bank cant give you

...but this has nothing to do with Cyprus

In fact I don't even receive the cheque, but this is my choice, I have opted to have my winnings turned into more Bonds,... they just send me the new numbers

It was meant as a alternative place to store money if banks charge for accounts
21 March 2013, 15:46,
Yes,..I probably one of the better ones too
A major part of survival is invisibility.
21 March 2013, 16:02,
Here in the States 57% of the population lives on some form of check issued by the government. Government workers, military or entitlement programs, pensioners and tax refunds.

All these payments are deposited to your bank account as a requirement for preventing corruption or theft of checks.

The government charges 3% fee for the bank transfer!!!

That just began last year and is effectively a 3% tax on all government issued allocations.
21 March 2013, 16:59,
Buy fractional gold coins (1/10ozt) and 1ozt silver coins folks. Buy them from several different coin shops, pay in cash, take them home and hide them, and don't tell a soul other than your spouse. Remember, if you can't hold it in your hot little hand, you don't own it (just ask the folks in Cyprus about the euros in their bank accounts if you don't believe me).
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!
21 March 2013, 20:54,
What makes the Cyprus event pertinent is that it can be observed as the thin end of the wedge and whatever happens there could set a precedent for times to come elsewhere including this little island. Whilst our economy is not quite as lop sided as in Cyprus 'we' still have a few problems to resolve.
So in order to survive a sudden extended holiday break for the banks you need some kind of flexible asset with which to live - money in some form or another, either the normal promisory notes or some gold or silver coinage. If the trust element goes out of the normal paper then you have at least a fall back with the 'real things' of yesteryear.
Just because we are not full members of the EU at the moment does not mean that our 'leaders' will not feel in the least bit abashed at copying the antics that seem to be successful elsewhere.
Should you be in the enviable position of having a stash in a bank or where ever please do not lose sight of the fact that any third party holding situation can be abused at will under the guise of taxation - the goal posts are very movable on this subject.
22 March 2013, 13:51,
(21 March 2013, 20:54)iaaems Wrote: Just because we are not full members of the EU at the moment

We are 100% EU, but have not accepted the Euro as our currency.

If the EU gov decides to pull a similar stunt with us, Cameron will simply roll over, cash everything in, and convert to the Euro, along with taking the cash from our accounts.

This is one of the reasons I'm very much pro precious metal, as well as the obvious increase in value reasons.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
22 March 2013, 13:57,
(22 March 2013, 13:51)Scythe13 Wrote:
(21 March 2013, 20:54)iaaems Wrote: Just because we are not full members of the EU at the moment

If the EU gov decides to pull a similar stunt with us, Cameron will simply roll over, cash everything in, and convert to the Euro, along with taking the cash from our accounts.

This is one of the reasons I'm very much pro precious metal, as well as the obvious increase in value reasons.
i'm not really interested in precious metals as such, you cant eat them and you'd have to have a lot of bars around the house which just isnt feasible, thats why i spend a bit on Ebay and Sids Surplus and a couple of other places regularly, just getting my preps up to date-not just food but other "stuff".
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
22 March 2013, 16:13,
(22 March 2013, 13:57)bigpaul Wrote:
(22 March 2013, 13:51)Scythe13 Wrote:

i'm not really interested in precious metals as such, you cant eat them and you'd have to have a lot of bars around the house which just isnt feasible, thats why i spend a bit on Ebay and Sids Surplus and a couple of other places regularly, just getting my preps up to date-not just food but other "stuff".

Each and every to their own mate. As long as you're happy with your preps, then it's all good.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
22 March 2013, 16:27,
(22 March 2013, 16:13)Scythe13 Wrote:
(22 March 2013, 13:57)bigpaul Wrote: [quote='Scythe13' pid='50753' dateline='1363956669']

Each and every to their own mate. As long as you're happy with your preps, then it's all good.

i am very happy, young sir!!Tongue
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.