Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waterproof stitching?
21 March 2013, 12:46,
Waterproof stitching?
Hi everyone.

As you all know, I'm a fan of modifying stuff.

One thing I'm looking at is waterproof stitching. If I want to stitch something to the outside, or underside of a snowboarding waterproof jacket, how can I make sure water doesn't come in through the stitching holes?

The things I've looked at are all inflexible. I am after something SUPER flexible, as in, able to move in completely the same say as if the jacket was unmodified, and also so that I can scrunch it up into a ball and put it into my bag (I'm not on about putting it in wet, incase anyone wants to say how bad that is to do).

Thank you all in advance for your ideas.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
21 March 2013, 12:56,
RE: Waterproof stitching?
tent seam sealer?
21 March 2013, 13:02,
I have often used wax,.,.. often furniture wax, cheep to buy easy to put on and flexible
A major part of survival is invisibility.
21 March 2013, 15:16,
(21 March 2013, 13:02)Highlander Wrote: I have often used wax,.,.. often furniture wax, cheep to buy easy to put on and flexible

I've found all the wax products I've tried have cracked and not as flexible as I'm looking for.

I.K.E. I'm looking at something like that really. Any idea of normal stitching would work. Different sites have said different things, so I thought I'd pump the question to see what you guys have worked with.
21 March 2013, 15:20,
The only other suggestion I can come up with at the moment, is the waterproof spays, we used to use them in the Army all the time,... but that is a point,..you do have to reuse it,.. but they do work
A major part of survival is invisibility.
21 March 2013, 20:57,
may be something like this:
http://www.shandhigson.co.uk/products/Sa...-tape.html

put this double sided tape on the seam between panels and stitch it. used in sail making and repair
21 March 2013, 23:37,
When I was younger my mates dad made me & my mate some "chest waders" from wellies & xl men's waterproof pants for fishing. Sewing machine stitched followed my a smear of silicon sealant inside & out. They never leaked once.
22 March 2013, 13:52, (This post was last modified: 22 March 2013, 13:54 by Scythe13.)
(21 March 2013, 23:37)Geordie_Rob Wrote: When I was younger my mates dad made me & my mate some "chest waders" from wellies & xl men's waterproof pants for fishing. Sewing machine stitched followed my a smear of silicon sealant inside & out. They never leaked once.

I was looking at the same thing, but so far the patch of material I'm working on doesn't seem to be as flexible, or it will cause the silicon to split :-(

I'll let you all in on one of the things I'm trying to do with this:

Aside from modify a few waterproofs, I want to set a mylar blanket into the underside of a tarp, for colder weather camping.

So, I need to be able to fold the tarp back up into it's small bag.
22 March 2013, 18:35,
(22 March 2013, 13:52)Scythe13 Wrote: I'll let you all in on one of the things I'm trying to do with this:

Aside from modify a few waterproofs, I want to set a mylar blanket into the underside of a tarp, for colder weather camping.

So, I need to be able to fold the tarp back up into it's small bag.

Been there, done that. It won't work.

The mylar tears along the stitch lines. I even tried sandwiching it between layers like a quilt. It still tore when stressed.

The fabric has more give than the mylar causing the seperation into sections.

The best setup I achieved was using a USGI poncho with poncho liner and one of the heavy weave reinforced "space blankets" tied into the matching gromets between the poncho and liner.

It soaks you with condensation within minutes.

As far as sealing normal seams??

The first response after the querry was spot on. Seam sealer was invented to (???guess what???) seal seams.