Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What set up are you going with?
3 April 2013, 10:04,
RE: What set up are you going with?
Yes folks it is an abandoned railway now made into a little used cycle path.
Ps old railways are a fantastic place to find "old School" type apple trees etc because of all the cores thrown out of the windows in days gone by. The track I mention is the best place to find Apple, Plum, greengage and pears around our vicinity, highly recommend scouting out old (unused) tracks.
3 April 2013, 10:29,
yep, we've got the old railway line near us turned into a cycle path, its only a couple of miles long but is the start of our bug out cycling route if the roads are blocked!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
3 April 2013, 11:26,
I think like you in any serious situation BP the roads would be chaos. The dissused railway system tends to have shorter more direct routes than the roads do, and not many people are really aware that they are out there. Plus most old railway lines have embankments means that for most of the time you will be out of sight as the track is always lower than the embankment. Another good thing about old railway lines is that there tends to be a few head of Rabbits due to the cover they find, and the ease of burrowing.
A lot of the old railway system has been paved for cycles just like BP said (as has my stretch) so the going is easy and you can cover distance quite quickly (I see them as modern Roman roads lol). Another advantage is if you have a motorbike and use these old railways you can cover some serious distance without ever having to expose yourself to cars or roads. Using my railway path (trans pennine) I could walk/ride from Hornsea on the East Coast of Yorkshire to the West coast. They are a great resource for preppers I recommend everyone check out their local networks.
3 April 2013, 11:31,
i think roads in a serious event will either be chaos or patrolled /blocked by military or bandits, cycle paths, bridal paths, footpaths, fields and woodland is the way to go, either parallel the roads, electric pylons, rivers or local landmarks. move during early morning and late evening, hide up and rest during the day.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
3 April 2013, 11:32,
theres food in them woods, makes sense to travel through the woods and then you can keep what your carrying and supplement your diet right from the beginning.
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson
3 April 2013, 11:35,
(3 April 2013, 11:32)Luci_ferson Wrote: theres food in them woods, makes sense to travel through the woods and then you can keep what your carrying and supplement your diet right from the beginning.

yep, maybe put out a few traps and snares while i am resting up.
3 April 2013, 11:37,
that's my idea too. makes sense to keep your stores for as long as possible.
your gonna have to eat that other stuff eventually, so may as well get used to it straight away whilst you've got stuff to make it taste a bit better.
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson
8 April 2013, 09:57,
(25 March 2013, 09:23)Binnie Wrote: I'm currently running. ...

35l bergen
3x2.4 tarp
Home made woodgas stove(stainless and indestructible)
Fire lighting gear
2x landranger maps plus compass
Bahco laplander
Condor bushlore knife
Waterproofs
Sleeping bag
Millbank bag
Mess tins
Zippo lighter and fuel
100ft 550 cord
Collins food for free
Change of clothes socks etc

Optional. ...

2.2 air rifle
Inflatable kayak (awkward to carry)

Added to that... fallkniven DC4...... whats the point in having a knife if you can't sharpen it?

Also added 1x weeks+ worth of rations, some british army puches, and last resort some US coastgaurd ration blocks
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....