Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Being careful about online communication
25 March 2013, 19:52,
RE: Being careful about online communication
i came off FB about 18 months ago out of sheer boredom, if friends want to contact me they have my email address.OH goes on it occassionally but thats getting less and less these days as she gets more heavilly involved with her geneology.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
26 March 2013, 16:44,
RE: Being careful about online communication
I don't have a mobile phone (unless a 2 meter handheld counts). Nor am I or my wife on F*ceb**k or Twi**er. My FCC callsign is used daily and can be tracked through QRZ.com or the Federal Communications Commission to my home address, but that's true of all 70,000 amateur radio operators in the US. Thats why my callsign is not posted on an open board, but any licensed hams can PM me, and I'll gladly tell them.

If/when the SHTF, I'll be transmitting very sparingly with the transmitter turned down to 10 watts or less output, probably in data mode since PSK31 transmits very rapidly using a very narrow bandwidth and very low power. Normally, I transmit at 100 watts (I'm licensed to transmit at 1,500 watts maximum).

A "SHTF" communications plan for amateur radio operators has been set up and posted in numerous spots on the internet and might be a good idea to download and save, even if you only have a short-wave high-frequency receiver with single side-band capability as this will give you a list of times and frequencies to listen for.
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!