Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Weight Limit
26 September 2013, 11:12,
RE: Weight Limit
(26 September 2013, 11:06)bigpaul Wrote: works for me, as an older person with a sometimes problem back I need all the edge I can get!

They can be more comfortable over longer distances, and if they're externally framed you can use that for other things, like an improvised splint.

I have a couple of framed packs, but I don't find them comfortable for me. I am an odd shape though
26 September 2013, 11:17,
(26 September 2013, 11:12)BeardyMan Wrote:
(26 September 2013, 11:06)bigpaul Wrote: works for me, as an older person with a sometimes problem back I need all the edge I can get!

They can be more comfortable over longer distances, and if they're externally framed you can use that for other things, like an improvised splint.

I have a couple of framed packs, but I don't find them comfortable for me. I am an odd shape though
sorry, yes I meant an EXTERNAL frame, then you can add other bits to the frame. I bought an old framed rucksack at a car boot for £4, junked the old horrible plastic rucksack and rehung a 25litre pack I already owned onto it, that freed up the bottom of the frame for other stuff.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
26 September 2013, 11:19,
(26 September 2013, 10:59)BeardyMan Wrote:
(26 September 2013, 10:51)bigpaul Wrote: if your worried about weight, get a FRAMED rucksack and let the frame carry the weight.
That just distributes the weight better, still weighs the same.
And they're not sexy. Sexiness is vital in a SHTF situation.

Sexiness is what it's all about. Beardyman is bringing sexy back! haha

To be fair, beauty is a huge survival skill. Pretty women are always with the pack leader and thus are protected.

As for frames on bags, never tried them. Most the weight goes through the hips anyway, so I'm not too bothered. A light bag is a pleasure to carry, even if it's not framed.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
26 September 2013, 11:37,
I've overhauled my kit, again, as I want a minimalist approach. This is my full time camping gear, which is also my GHB, if you want to call it that. When I go to the woods, this is all I take:

- Bushcraft Pack
- 3 100% wool dutch army blankets (swap with US army sleep system or Czech army bed roll depending on how I'm feeling)
- GB SFA, Laplander & fixed blade
- Trangia mess tin (contains Ti spork and gel stove)
- Fire kit (flint & steel, ferro rod, lighters, tinder, sulphur matches etc)
- Uco candle
- Katadyn filter
- Hammock & Tarp
- Rope & paracord
- water container & puritabs

I've realised that I'm definitely not built for speed, so weight isn't really that much of a problem. Slow & steady wins the race. Surprisingly this set up doesn't weigh as much as the previous incarnation of my set up, but I've shed a few items.
26 September 2013, 11:39, (This post was last modified: 26 September 2013, 11:43 by Lightspeed.)
(26 September 2013, 10:03)Nix Wrote: Just weighed my BOB and it's 30% of my weight.

Hmmm, time for BOB to go on a diet methinks... Rolleyes

No, you have misunderstood the way the ratio works Nix...

Just eat more food and pile on some more body fat until desired ratio is achieved :-)
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

26 September 2013, 12:28,
Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin
I'm NOT political so DON'T correct me!