Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
silent walkiw talkie alarm
25 March 2013, 15:16, (This post was last modified: 25 March 2013, 15:18 by Lightspeed.)
RE: silent walkiw talkie alarm
Little grey cells thinking about the PMR radio Idea Wildman. Your idea is ingenious.

There's prob enough room in most PMR walkie talkie bodies to house a small socket wired to the "call" switch. This would allow the remote pressure pad to be plugged in, and when trodden-on, activate the call function. With this this modification the radio would not have to be dedicated just to alarm function as it'd still function normally when unplugged.

By "Call" switch I mean the button on Cobra and Mororola radios that when pressed sends a multi-note tone burst.

The radio would not be in continuous transmit mode. It'd just send the multi note tone burst when the pressure pad was activated.. Neat.

(25 March 2013, 15:15)Highlander Wrote: You can get mats to stop dogs jumping over gates etc,... you place them at the point where the dog jumps from, when he goes on the mat he gets a small electric shock.

I wouldn't dream of using one for that purpose, but its the kind of thing that could easily be adapted

I have been trying to find one but as yet I cant,.. will keep looking, I saw them on an American show, so might not be able to get them here

Maybe they only work on American dogs??? :-)
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

25 March 2013, 18:52,
banks have silent alarms that say this bank is being robbed. Mains powered and perm

You would have a problem with the radio in as there are too many variable. it would only beep and this could mean someone on your radio or it could be another radio. The chances are you would want more than one. The beep from one would be transmitted to all others. How would they be powered. After a while the batteries die, if yo had a solar charger it has to be visible and it is more likely to be spotted.

Probably better to just use ordinary alarm systems. Wireless and although you have the same power issues they do last a lot longer plus they can indicate what alarrm it was and thus where the threat is coming from and iy won't tell them there is someone here either. Much cheaper than even one PMR
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
25 March 2013, 18:59,
i've got some of those personal attack alarms, cost me £1 each, yes you've guessed it-in a £ shop!i'm going to attach them to trip wires at the BOL but they arent quiet..far from it.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
25 March 2013, 19:14,
6 tin cans hung up with strings attached . costs me nothing and don't look out of place.
I also don't lose anything when someone steps on it and wonders what it was.
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson
25 March 2013, 20:55,
thank you all for the brainstorming, one thing i love most about this survival, is the art of visualising!!
he never planned to fail, he just failed to plan. like lambs to the slaughter the wolfs look down from the hill tops. we are those wolfs!!!
25 March 2013, 21:04,
SD using the CTCSS or DCS codes on the radios transmitting will greatly reduce the risk of false alarms.

Using the remote pressure sensor mats on long lengths of feeder wire will allow the radio to be remoted into a hidden location away from prying eyes.

Granted that power consumption has to be offset by PV type charging.

LS
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

26 March 2013, 01:05,
Highlander a german company called trixie might do them, used to work in the pet trade but dont recollect seeing them. I know they do nasty things like choke chains with inward facing spikes, so wouldnt put it past them doing shock matts.
26 March 2013, 06:02,
(25 March 2013, 15:02)Rush2112 Wrote: Wildman! good to have you back.

I've thought about rigging a perimeter using fishing line attached to bells. I have some small brass pulleys and bells, but never put it around. have to take it easy as the missus doesnt like any of this stuff. she tolerates me, thinking this "hobby" keeps me busy and out of trouble.

cheers rush, always good to spend spare time on here. Wink
he never planned to fail, he just failed to plan. like lambs to the slaughter the wolfs look down from the hill tops. we are those wolfs!!!
26 March 2013, 09:42,
(25 March 2013, 21:04)Lightspeed Wrote: SD using the CTCSS or DCS codes on the radios transmitting will greatly reduce the risk of false alarms.

Using the remote pressure sensor mats on long lengths of feeder wire will allow the radio to be remoted into a hidden location away from prying eyes.

LS

LS,

I'm not saying there isn't a way to make things easier. However I can wire a wide area cheaply using a wireless alarm system that uses little power rather than making an expensive alarm system that only really adds one benefit. I can talk to the intruder.

There is an old saving that we preppers need to remember Keep It Simple. Complicating things with pressure pads, solar chargers, CTS imo is not worth it.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
26 March 2013, 10:34, (This post was last modified: 26 March 2013, 10:46 by Lightspeed.)
(26 March 2013, 09:42)Skean Dhude Wrote:
(25 March 2013, 21:04)Lightspeed Wrote: SD using the CTCSS or DCS codes on the radios transmitting will greatly reduce the risk of false alarms.

LS

Hi SD,

I agree that an 12v powered alarm system would be a good solution. (as I suggested at the outset) It still need to get power from somewhere though, and if wireless that will be two power sources to find.

The PMR solution is intriguing as it allows that device/system to perform a secondary roll with minimal adaption. Plug in Pressure pad mat £10 on e-bay see http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pressure-Mat-S...vi-content

Another self contained 9v powered possible solution for £ 15 could be: http://www.thekidswindow.co.uk/selling.a...zQodT34A_g

LS

LS,

I'm not saying there isn't a way to make things easier. However I can wire a wide area cheaply using a wireless alarm system that uses little power rather than making an expensive alarm system that only really adds one benefit. I can talk to the intruder.

There is an old saving that we preppers need to remember Keep It Simple. Complicating things with pressure pads, solar chargers, CTS imo is not worth it.

OOps, typed that reply in the wrong area :-(

Re CTS imo is not worth it. Why not?

CTCSS give a less than 1 in 300 chance of getting false alarms. Using DCS its less than 1 in 800 chance of false alarms. And that's using bog standard PMR446 technology.

Its not perfect, but not bad for adapted technology

To improve the odds further, using a pair of the little Chinese handhelds, false alarm probability decreases to less than 1 in 1.5 million

Just sayin'....
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580