Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CHEAP FARADAY CAGE ?
22 May 2013, 19:49,
RE: CHEAP FARADAY CAGE ?
(22 May 2013, 19:46)Highlander Wrote: This is it,.. very cheap

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid...&_from=R40

No its not iron on, just tape as you would duck tape

I thought a faraday cage had to completely metal wouldn't the adhesive let a strong signal though? I hope I'm not asking stupid questions lol
22 May 2013, 19:59,
Its whats on the outside that matters, and the outside is aluminum,.. that's the conductive stuff that will send any electrical current around the cage and hopefully to earth, the more tape or thicker the protecting metal the better... any chink in the amour, or if the item inside is touching the outside,.. then it will not protect anything

No question is stupid if you dont know the answer
A major part of survival is invisibility.
23 May 2013, 19:05,
Metal dustbin - great idea Highlander. As a bonus I guess you could put some rotten rubbish on top to disguise the contents.
24 May 2013, 08:18,
(23 May 2013, 19:05)Steve Wrote: Metal dustbin - great idea Highlander. As a bonus I guess you could put some rotten rubbish on top to disguise the contents.

Found my old metal kitchen bin in the loft the other day. Thanks HL, saved me loads of build time here.
24 May 2013, 09:14,
Do u test a faraday cage by putting a mobile phone in it and trying to ring it?
24 May 2013, 09:17,
(24 May 2013, 09:14)Mooski88 Wrote: Do u test a faraday cage by putting a mobile phone in it and trying to ring it?

Yup

24 May 2013, 10:46, (This post was last modified: 24 May 2013, 10:54 by Preppergirl.)
hey thanks, yes i was a little dubious about earthing to the mains earth, i mean all the electrics an stuff go to the pipes, maybe bash a copper pipe into the ground a bury a lead. . . .thanks again

duct tape wont work, its gotta be conductive, type it in ebay, loads of different sizes, alarm tape is similar but thats very narrow.
Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you.
24 May 2013, 15:06,
This is probably the best instruction video I've seen re Cheap Faraday cage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoQZY1FtI3c
24 May 2013, 15:29,
(24 May 2013, 10:46)Preppergirl Wrote: hey thanks, yes i was a little dubious about earthing to the mains earth, i mean all the electrics an stuff go to the pipes, maybe bash a copper pipe into the ground a bury a lead. . . .thanks again

duct tape wont work, its gotta be conductive, type it in ebay, loads of different sizes, alarm tape is similar but thats very narrow.

if you wanted to make a "portable" unit, you could wire the cage up to a 13A domestic plug, but only connect the earth wire, which is the one furthest away from the cable entry (and certainly remove the fuse to be doubly safe!)

then hey presto, as long as you have a domestic outlet nearby, you have an earth point for your faraday cage!!!
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
24 May 2013, 17:15,
(24 May 2013, 15:06)River Song Wrote: This is probably the best instruction video I've seen re Cheap Faraday cage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoQZY1FtI3c

This is just what I have done, the only differences are that I wrapped my items in cardboard before wrapping them in the foil,.... and I taped the lid on to make sure that seal is good
A major part of survival is invisibility.