Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Petrol bombs and your plans...
21 November 2011, 13:48, (This post was last modified: 21 November 2011, 19:39 by Skvez.)
RE: Petrol bombs and your plans...
Double glazing is pretty resilient to incoming bottles, so provided your house is brick or breezeblock outer skin an external fire isn't too much of a risk.
If they get a window broken and get a fire inside you're in big trouble. Even if you could put the first fire out (which is unlikely) they can throw more or assault you while you're occupied dealing with the fire. That is the time to bug out the back.
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
21 November 2011, 14:02,
That should encourage people to fit shutters to their homes that can be closed if TSHTF

21 November 2011, 19:14,
Prevention is better than the cure. I doubt every house would get firebombed.
Give no reason for yours to be targeted - lights on, smells of cooking etc during potentially, a loss of mains power etc.
22 November 2011, 23:57,
Its not about every house just ours...dont forget double glazingsplastic and melts. front doors included.
I'm not saying it will happen but preppings all about being prepared is it not?
It'd be a poor prepper that didnt at least consider it me thinks.
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."
23 November 2011, 12:51,
(22 November 2011, 23:57)mikebratcher69 Wrote: Its not about every house just ours...dont forget double glazingsplastic and melts. front doors included.
I'm not saying it will happen but preppings all about being prepared is it not?
It'd be a poor prepper that didnt at least consider it me thinks.

depends on your location i think, this would be more likely to happen in a city than in a rural situation, wouldnt even rule it out here but %wise more likely in urban setting.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 April 2012, 14:22, (This post was last modified: 4 April 2012, 14:27 by Tibbs735.)
Perhaps some kind of metal grid mounted over the windows, so that petrol bombs bursts outside, and cannot enter your house. The window and outer wall may catch fire, and plastic windows would eventually melt, but I'm sure that would be a nice compromise to burning to death. Also, I read an account somewhere about the economic collapse in, um, I think Argentina. The author talked about cinderblock outer walls saving him numerous times from petrol bombs.
Also, if the mesh over your windows projected about a foot away from the glass, I'm sure the fairly solid bottles would simply bounce off the mesh onto the ground.
4 April 2012, 14:29,
i dont know, but i think petrol bombs are more likely in a mob situation than being something a lone person would do, also i think this is a city thing-more people more probability- rather than a rural thing, but yes, could happen anywhere.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 April 2012, 14:47,
Petrol bombs will be one of the biggest achilles of prep loctions. It is a tried & tested easy tactic to flush out occupiers of any retreat. The incendaries can be often lobbed from cover.It does not take many brain cells for a hoodlum to work that out. In fact it is likely to be a tactic of an organised mob or group. Just because you mat be a bit too prickly for them to overwhelm you in an urge to obtain your supplies, does not mean you can be ignored. Any mob leader may well realise you are just too dangerous to leave unsecured within their patch or route. Burning you out may leave enough time for some of them to grab some of your supplies, as if you had any tactical awareness, you would not leave it till the last second to bug out. By then you may well be surrounded & overpowered.
Petrol bombs are also useful to the prepper for a variety of scenarios, but it still does not detract from the one described above.Confused
4 April 2012, 17:24,
A mesh cage around windows, like many people in rougher areas already have, would either burst the bomb prematurely, or cause it to bounce away onto the ground. Also cinder blocks don't burn well, so consider what flammable materials you have lying around.

One tip I heard was to stake down fishing line in a random cobweb pattern 1 foot high on your lawn. People have to be fairly close to throw the bomb with any accuracy. With the tangle lines down they cannot just run up to your house and away again, giving you more time to ventilate them.
5 April 2012, 13:41,
If you are at the stage where they are petrol bombing you then unless you have enough people to go on the offensive you are in trouble. Nowhere is impregenable. Nowhere. It is simply a matter of time if you are under that threat.

Always keep your tores in multiple location and be prepared to bug out at a moment notice.

If however you are a community then other options are available.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin