Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going to seed
3 April 2013, 21:09,
Going to seed
No,... not me..Smile

I am just wondering how [ if possible ] can we keep seed [ from the plant] for the next year

If the SHTF and seed is no longer available, how can we produce seeds,..some of the seed heads are quiet clear, lettuce and Onion etc, but what about the like of carrot for instance

...and how would we store them once we obtained them?, I am betting that the seed companies do something to theirs so they keep better
A major part of survival is invisibility.
3 April 2013, 21:12,
RE: Going to seed
bet MaryN has a great answer to this. and its something ive wondered myself about carrots.
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson
3 April 2013, 21:50, (This post was last modified: 3 April 2013, 21:54 by I-K-E.)
carrots

grow a carrot and in leave in the ground the second season they go to seed

the think is you have to be careful and not buy f1 seed and go for a more traditional seeds

google "seed saving" and that should give you the ideas

in terms of buying in seed and storing again go for the "real seeds" and I guess that if you can keep them cool and in the dark then they should last better but you'll still get a hit in terms of the viable ones that will germinate. At this point get them planted up and start the seed saving process.

I'm seriously thinking of buying in seed every year and storing them to the next then replace just in case. From having an allotment in the past (wish I still did) for the basics it should be less than £50 a year

also with buying seed each year and replacing instead of throwing in the bin I'd be wandering round the local area and spreading them around ..... who knows them may just provide a bit of free food for very little input
3 April 2013, 22:08,
I once pondered the idea of a few wild scatterings of vege seeds. in carefully selected soil types.
im guessing it would be illegal so never bothered
3 April 2013, 22:14,
Luci its highly recomended to randomly plant here and there on wasteland ect, gives you extra food and most people wont be able to tell the difference between your veg and shrub/weeds.
3 April 2013, 23:08,
buy heirloom seed...you can take seeds from these plants ( they are pricey) do not take seed from any f1 ....hybrid they have been modified ....over to mary now
4 April 2013, 09:21,
(3 April 2013, 22:14)Metroyeti Wrote: Luci its highly recomended to randomly plant here and there on wasteland ect, gives you extra food and most people wont be able to tell the difference between your veg and shrub/weeds.

ive pondered the idea many times. but ive a fealing its actually illegal.
some stupid green law will cover distributing non native plants. or something like that.
so for now ive been looking for wild veges (not found any)
I planned on helping them spread cos that wouldn't be planting non natives it wouldn't be technically planting anything.
just helping what was already there.
sadly like I said Im still yet to find any.
ive got books that show pics and tell where to look. but I guess im just unlucky.
may have to just accidentaly drop a few things afterall.
4 April 2013, 09:47,
Highlander read this link good info
http://www.realseeds.co.uk/
Failure is NOT an option
4 April 2013, 17:03,
(4 April 2013, 09:47)uks Wrote: Highlander read this link good info

yep thats the one we used in the past
4 April 2013, 21:24,
(4 April 2013, 09:47)uks Wrote: Highlander read this link good info

Thanks,..I will
A major part of survival is invisibility.