Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Water chemistry (a science of its own)
4 April 2013, 17:04, (This post was last modified: 4 April 2013, 17:09 by Luci_ferson.)
Water chemistry (a science of its own)
A lot wont be interested in the chemistry of water but here gos anyway.

Water is probably the greatest of the sciences.
Why did he just refer to water as a science ?
youl see as you read this.

water is not simply H2O it has many parameters and the are all important.
yes we can filter it and remove the chances of disease etc.
but the more processes of filtration it gos through or the harsher the process, then the more the water chemistry changes.

Il explain but keep it simple. I couldnt really cover it all unless i wrote a book. but the information is out there.

wel begin with its most basic parameters.

GH KH PH and TEMP theres many more but then it will get tooo complicated.

gh means general hardness
kh means carbonate hardness
ph is pretty self explanatory hopefully but just incase: Its a scale to measure acidy or alkalinity (it isnt but thats the simplified explanation)

temp really is self explanatory you can use any range you want farenheit celcious even kelvin if you want to be awkward.

all these parameters are locked together in a chemical bond that is h2O

if you alter any one of them the others will automatically change also, even just the temperature.

if i add acid to the water the ph will lower.
but the kh and gh will also move.
if the water has a naturaly high kh then what will happen is although the ph lowered it would slowly re-rise back to where it originally was.
if the water does not then the kh would stay altered and therefore so would the ph
its to do with the calcium carbonate in the water that acts as a buffer (distilled water has 0kh)

like I said earlier even the temperature affects the other parameters. warm water can hold more total disolved solids than cold water.

Most of you are thinking , so why do i need to know all this, all i need to know is how to filter it.
you body has a natural ph.
for it to function its ph needs to stay within a set range.
ours stays regulated through the foods we eat and the TDS and kh in the water we drink.
when we start drinking water that we are filtering we are altering its kh , gh and ph.
were also altering our own personal biology .

again most of you are thinking not by enough to matter.

wrong.
certain areas of countries and even full countries can have a higher population of births to one sex ratio than the other.
this although unproven to be anything to do with the water chemistry has got to be taken into consideration.

I know most of you are probably laughing but again il explain.

anyone that has kept tropical fish , ciclids in particular will know that if your waters ph is wrong too high or two low
then you will end up with more of one sex than the other.
Sometimes if ph is too high it will lead to every single one of your babies being one sex.
and in worse cases can lead to no babies at all.
All from something as simple as water ph.
Even the water hardness effects the rate of growth of the babies.

that is only a single possibility of the effects of water chemistry on human health or reproduction

there is many others but to explain them id have to explain the many other parameters of water chemistry.
your scietntists know all this , (the ones who add stuff into the water supply etc.)

water chemistry isnt as simple a subject as you would hope. its why its called water chemistry, and why I called it a science.

do a little serious research and i promise you will see what i mean.
Ive studied water for over 25 years and im still learning new stuff each day.
it really is the most amazing substance on the planet.
solid liquid or gas of which all 3 have totally different parameters and ive only named a few out of many.

remember every stage of filtration alters its chemistry. and alter one parameter alters the others (all of them) the harsher the filtration the more it alters the water.
distillation is the harshest and results in pure H20 0kh 0gh 0tds its not healthy for you on its own and need to be mixed. before consumption or it will have health affects.

but don't take my word for it, go study water, it really is pretty amazing stuff.
you will be surprised by how many scientific papers are written just on water parameters and that don't include the fact they all change in waters 3 different states.
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson
4 April 2013, 17:12,
RE: Water chemistry (a science of its own)
oh dear, i think someone was twiddling their thumbs and had nothing to do for half an hour!!Big GrinBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 April 2013, 17:16, (This post was last modified: 4 April 2013, 17:20 by Luci_ferson.)
lol, nah dude, water is just one of my passions.
I know it sounds crazey but its a fascinating subject.
especially if you keep tropical fish from all over the world lol.
you need to get to know water pretty well if you want a £30 fish breed.
some fish you need to get to know water pretty well just to keep them alive.

comes in usefull for your plants too

if plants don't get water of the correct ph it limits their ability to take up water.
so even if theres plent of water the plant will shrivel and die if the ph is incorrect.

everything living needs water in some form. just the chemistry changes.

correction. incorrect ph will limit the plants ability to take in nutrients, not the water, it will suck the water up regardless, but it just wont get the nutrients it requires if the ph is wrong.
4 April 2013, 17:26,
the only fish i want are on my dinner plate, and going by my previous allotments plants suffer more from NO water than the WRONG water! Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 April 2013, 17:28,
put a plant on window and feed it nothing but distilled water. put another beside it and feed it urine.
you would expect the urine one to die first but it wont.
4 April 2013, 17:31,
(4 April 2013, 17:28)Luci_ferson Wrote: put a plant on window and feed it nothing but distilled water. put another beside it and feed it urine.
you would expect the urine one to die first but it wont.

interesting! urine comes out of the body pure, it only becomes impure later, i think thats why some people drink it-for health reasons. or have i been told wrong?
4 April 2013, 17:32, (This post was last modified: 4 April 2013, 17:34 by Luci_ferson.)
not sure but urine contains urea , which is poisonous so not advisable drinking it really, but in the concentrations that it is , its probably harmless .

the reason the plant does better is because there is other dissolved solids in it, and other minerals cos you peed them out. still sterile but not pure, that's a difference
pure would be 0tdh 0kh and 0gh (distilled water)

urine aint
4 April 2013, 17:37, (This post was last modified: 4 April 2013, 17:38 by bigpaul.)
oh well, the only thing i know about water is we drink it, and we can only go about 3 days without drinking it, thats about it.

oh yeah, and it falls out of the sky...around here-regularly!Big Grin
4 April 2013, 17:39, (This post was last modified: 4 April 2013, 17:40 by Luci_ferson.)
nah you know a little more than that now
even if its only what Gh TDH and kh stands for lol

and atleast you know theres more to it than you thought,
even if you don't know what that more happens to be
4 April 2013, 17:41,
(4 April 2013, 17:39)Luci_ferson Wrote: nah you know a little more than that now
even if its only what Gh TDH and kh stands for lol

and atleast you know theres more to it than you thought,
even if you don't know what that more happens to be

now i am confused!Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin