Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
SW coast path landslips 10 times worse than normal.
5 April 2013, 16:29,
RE: SW coast path landslips 10 times worse than normal.
(5 April 2013, 16:21)Ghost Wrote: The coast line is constantly changing but I don't see how we can prep against this.
Post SHTF I wouldn't expect anyone to 'repair' it because it's not broken.

i meant remove all the stuff thats fallen on the beach, in the case of NESS beach its blocking anyone getting onto the beach.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
5 April 2013, 23:50,
i was collecting bait 3 years ago round the coast from hastings. it was pitch dark, windy, no moon and the waves were crashing 40ft behind me. when i looked up to the cliffs the dark from the cliff blended into the night. i shot my head up at the sound of major cracking!! i waited and squinted to see nothing but black so i started to move away to another, safer location. it was then that i heard a deadly cracking sound that i actually felt in my feet! these rocks i was stood on were wet, slimy and usually gr8 care is taken when walking across them, i had my head torch in my hands pointed down as i sprinted clean across them and out to sea!! the next morning i went down to see what came down and there were a small handfull of boulders at the ft of the cliffs, about 80ft from where i was. needless to say i dont venture down that way unless tide is out.
he never planned to fail, he just failed to plan. like lambs to the slaughter the wolfs look down from the hill tops. we are those wolfs!!!
6 April 2013, 12:17,
With a view to prepping this topic brings up an important point. In a serious breakdown as well as most of the major roads etc being blocked, how long before all the footpaths, trackways and minor roads become unuseable through neglect. When you think how quick grass etc grows through cracks and can destroy a pavement I don't think it would take too long before travel became harder. This is one thing they never show you on these movies, all the roads and paths are still in use, the railway tracks are still there etc.
I like to visualise a situation and when I think of a stretch of railway track left alone for five years to mother nature, without any weeding or control of bushes and trees, I think after this time the track would be buried under vegetation and unuseable. Our pavements and side streets are kept clear of weeds by an army of council workers, imagine all that stopping! after five years our infrastructure would be gone. Or maybe I should have more faith in the quality of our roads etc and we can see their use for generations after the event. After all the Romans built very good roads that were in use into the Medieval period a thousand years after their collapse.
6 April 2013, 15:37, (This post was last modified: 6 April 2013, 15:40 by bigpaul.)
TH, you put it very well, i have been saying this for many years but i dont think anyone NOT living in the countryside has the slightest idea how the countryside works. first bad weather the banks get saturated, then the mud slips into the ditches and it fills up with water then the water spills out onto the road and the road surface starts breaking up, give it 1 or 2 severe winters and the roads will be unusable.

and you can forget going "off road", the fields will be overgrown without anyone to manage them, trees will fall down and shrub and scrub will grow so nowhere will be passable.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 April 2013, 18:53,
If the SHTF big time and I mange to get the family out and we find a place in the country side

I would be thinking of trying to promote some of the roads worsening and off road too
6 April 2013, 19:18,
(6 April 2013, 18:53)I-K-E Wrote: If the SHTF big time and I mange to get the family out and we find a place in the country side

I would be thinking of trying to promote some of the roads worsening and off road too

drop a couple of trees onto the road should do itBig Grin
6 April 2013, 21:11,
We have had some serious rapid erosion problems in Norfolk recently with land slips and beaches scouring out. The locals put it down to the rather constant cold north to north east wind of the last few weeks and the run of the tides at this time of the year. Plus huge amounts of gravel extraction from the North Sea and the 'new' outer harbour construction at Gt Yarmouth.
There are quite a few folks who have homes that are near cliff edges and also behind sand dunes in this part of the world. I hope they are learning something from this natural activity.
What I learn from this is that should I be in a position to bug out, or just plain move, then near the coast I would not be. Inland and above sea level if at all possible plus a small plot. Well I can dream as well as learn!
7 April 2013, 09:09,
trouble with Norfolk is its so flat!
7 April 2013, 12:41,
Your coment about putting trees into roads to stop people and vehicles is a good point BP when you consider most people out there would have no idea how to actually remove a tree from a road at all. I gaurantee the majority would not have an Axe or block n tackle suitable for the job, and the rest would not know how to use an Axe anyway, how many people have actually had to remove a tree in their lifes!!!
7 April 2013, 12:58,
(7 April 2013, 12:41)Tartar Horde Wrote: Your coment about putting trees into roads to stop people and vehicles is a good point BP when you consider most people out there would have no idea how to actually remove a tree from a road at all. I gaurantee the majority would not have an Axe or block n tackle suitable for the job, and the rest would not know how to use an Axe anyway, how many people have actually had to remove a tree in their lifes!!!

yes thats what i thought TH, if they come up against a fallen tree they will just find another route.