Wolves in the UK, post SHTF.
6 April 2013, 16:51,
RE: Wolves in the UK, post SHTF.
as less food is available we would start competing with them for food

encounters would grow rapidly
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson
6 April 2013, 16:53,
Can't recal where it was, probably somewhere like Vietnam. But my friend said he was followed about a bit by semi aggressive dogs while on holiday. They buggered off if you confronted/shouted and threw stuff at them. Mix in hungry as well as the person they follow being small/ elderly or weak and i can see them attacking.
6 April 2013, 16:54, (This post was last modified: 6 April 2013, 16:57 by Luci_ferson.)
they always go for the weak.
best defence from a pack of wolves is to be in a bigger pack.

if you cant be in a bigger pack. make enough no
noise so they think you are.

I reckon dogs would become a problem within around a year. straight after the first main breeding season.
we would probably have to regularly go out and cull them to keep the numbers down.

a dog can get many bitches pregnant . and they will revert to nature a lot quicker than most of us
6 April 2013, 17:11,
No personal experience, but from what I've read about sled-dogs in Canada, dogs freak out with fear when they detect wolves.

In the wild wolves are very wary of humans but bear in mind that the scenario we're talking about here is the release of captive wolves, which would have been habitualised to human contact. They could therefore be much more dangerous.

We live near the Alladale Estate, where the ex-MFI owner, Paul Lister, was looking to re-wild around 200,000 acres by re-introducing wild boar, elk, wolves and bears. He got as far as the boar and elk, but seems to have stalled in a mire of objections, planning consent, access legislation, etc.

Anyone ever seen Dog Soldiers? :-)
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
6 April 2013, 17:15,
a lot of dogs will get shut in abandoned houses post shtf and will die of starvation, i dont really see great numbers managing to escape and roam around, many will be killed on roads as people panic and try to flee in their cars.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 April 2013, 17:20, (This post was last modified: 6 April 2013, 17:21 by Luci_ferson.)
(6 April 2013, 17:11)Tarrel Wrote: No personal experience, but from what I've read about sled-dogs in Canada, dogs freak out with fear when they detect wolves.

In the wild wolves are very wary of humans but bear in mind that the scenario we're talking about here is the release of captive wolves, which would have been habitualised to human contact. They could therefore be much more dangerous.

Anyone ever seen Dog Soldiers? :-)

that's a very important point

escaped wolves already associate us as providers of food.
they would seek us out.

the human/food association is a very dangerous one.

people who live near bears or foxes are already learning this.

it would be worse come shtf

not just wolves. anhy dangerous animal that has been given that human/food association.

by the way dog soldiers is an excellent movie.
6 April 2013, 19:02,
wolves are the most intelligent predators on the surface of the earth after humans (sometime i doubt the human part).
in Estonia we have couple of hundreds of them living in our forests and marshes today. you can not hunt them without the special license from the government. so every year in the winter same pathetic complains begin in the press. again and again allegedly the wolf pack killed a couple of dogs in their dog houses in some remote village or farm. or on one of our islands wolves slaughtered a dozen of sheep. this way the hunters try to manipulate the public opinion towards the opening the wolf hunt.
actually the feral dogs kill more sheep (if not all) than wolves.
you don't have to be afraid of the big wolf packs in uk. thanks to over-hunting there is not enough pray to sustain packs bigger than the half of dozen animals.
i think wild pig will be much more dangerous animal to meet in the woods.
i've never seen a wolf in the wild, they are really cautious.
in Estonia in 1980 an elderly woman died of rabies after rabid wolf bitten her. before that last documented fatal attack by healthy wolf was in 1873. before that in first half of the 19th century there was 82 fatal attacks on people from whom only one was adult, rest were the children. usually wolves attacked the lonely children ambushing them in the bushes, but there were cases when wolf virtually tear the child out from the parent hands on his door steps. when attacking the group of children wolf usually selects the smaller one.
the wolf attacks on human usually increase during and after the big crises and wars. for example only in one region of Kirov, Russia in 1947 there were 27 fatal attacks on children. those wolves got used to human flesh eating the dead bodies during the WWII.
6 April 2013, 19:09, (This post was last modified: 6 April 2013, 19:16 by Luci_ferson.)
in England we don't really have the worry of the wild wolves.

we only have the worry of the ones that have been trained to think man is the provider of food.
they wont react the same as the naturally wild ones.
ours wont have much fear of man.

any wolves escaping from zoos would likely seek out man as comfort at first
expecting them to help them and give them food
when people don't
the problems will start

some towns in Canada are currently having the same problem with bears.
theyre even walking into the houses, they don't see humans as a threat. only a food source

some parts of England its the same with foxes already.

but other than the wolves, have you ever actually encountered an angry badger with cubs.
I have
it chased me back into my house all the way across the garden.
and I was holding a petrol brush cutter.
they aint the quietest of things.

and that was simply because I was trying to clear its territory.

my garden was overgrown, nobody had lived there for 12 years or so.
as far as badger was concerned I didn't belong there.
6 April 2013, 19:22,
i dont see any problem with wolves unless you live near a zoo thats got them or a wolf sanctuary, most of us will never see a wolf.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 April 2013, 19:33, (This post was last modified: 6 April 2013, 19:35 by Luci_ferson.)
wolves don't usually travel far from their den.
they are pack animals
if we did encounter a wolf its more likely to be a lone wolf than a pack.
packs rarely move unless they have too.

sadly lone wolves tend to be hungry ones

and bigpaul paignton isn't far from you and it does have wolves. or did years ago. maybe they don't now.