Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A few thoughts on the state of things
8 April 2013, 20:23,
RE: A few thoughts on the state of things
even if I trust them,
its highly unlikely id have food to trade.
unless its him trading the food that is , I could spare a few matches and some dry paper on a damp day in exchange for a bowl of his stew .
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson
8 April 2013, 20:54,
Alot of good point as allways, I know I have said it before I have no gold or precious metal, as in my mind if you cant eat it, drink it, keep warm with it or make my transport move with it it is not much use.
8 April 2013, 21:49,
Welcome from Northumberland Smile

I would say you sound like your taking steps in the right direction Smile
Winter is coming
8 April 2013, 23:35,
welcome from Londonistan
9 April 2013, 08:34,
(8 April 2013, 20:54)Spandex228 Wrote: Alot of good point as allways, I know I have said it before I have no gold or precious metal, as in my mind if you cant eat it, drink it, keep warm with it or make my transport move with it it is not much use.

Fair point, however I take the view that precious metals have been accepted as payment for goods and services for thousands of years and will continue to be for some time.
9 April 2013, 08:48,
i agree with sardo, don't put all ya eggs in one basket, having food is great, but you don't wanna trade it away, having gold is a great thing for that, and gold has and always will be something very precious in most peoples eyes, even post collapse, although i think a partial collapse is more likely, but the same holds in that scenario as well

toilet paper would also be a valued commodity as well! when people spend 6 months wiping their arse with newspaper, a fresh roll of bog paper will be worth more than food or gold! luxuries, its where money always is, just like drugs and alcohol, people would trade a day's food to be high for a day, just the way people are.

things you should never trade would be medical supplies and food, though in my eyes food less so, theres food everywhere if you know where to look Smile

but at any rate, money is better spent on specific preps, food supplies, medical supplies and such like, of course if collecting is a hobby of yours, then keep on it, having a hobby like that that can also be useful in an emergency is always a good hobby to have Smile

also welcome to the site dude, i don't think your paranoid at all! you just have common sense Smile
9 April 2013, 11:16,
Welcome to the forum SN

You sound like my kind of guy:
(9 April 2013, 08:34)Sardo_Numpsa Wrote: I take the view that precious metals have been accepted as payment for goods and services for thousands of years and will continue to be for some time.

To point out something so blindingly obvious that it's blinded many people on the forum, let me explain something about PM's:

Put simply, tins of food are awesome and if there's a total collapse, then food will be important. However, if you had bought silver at $8 an ounce, and sold it at $30 an ounce, you would have been able to use that money to buy more tins of food than if you had bought 10 tins of food costing £8, and then trade them in for another 10 tins of food costing £8. See where this is going? PM's are not just a store of wealth, they are an investment when bought wisely, and thus are able to be used to ENHANCE your ability to prep! If you'd bought a few ounces of gold back in 2000, you'd be laughing your butt off right now at how many tins you could buy.

I know the response I'll receive "I'd rather have tins now because you don't know when the collapse will come." Which is entirely my point. It could be in 10 years time, in which case, PM's would have increased in value and be able to buy many more tins. You're hanging on to security without looking at achieving true freedom! Your fear has blinded you.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
9 April 2013, 12:38,
Scythe,

We all draw the line in different places because we all evaluatiate risk in different ways and are in different positions and locations.

Your method worked fine for you. That is good but it could easily have worked out differently and you would be worse off.

I'm in agreement that PMs are a great hedge against inflation and are work keeping but most of us can't afford them. Plus they are only valuable in a stable society no good when you can't use them to buy things elsewhere so when I have my beans and someone who has gold and silver wants to trade the laws of supply and demand state he ain't going to get the return he would have had today.

A lot of these investements go very poorly for non financial people who are always last in and get holding the can.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
9 April 2013, 12:43,
I wouldn't recommend holding PM's (as you guys say) as an investment.
9 April 2013, 12:44, (This post was last modified: 9 April 2013, 12:53 by Luci_ferson.)
im expecting the collapse very soon.
every penny and pound that I have is being spent on things for afterwards.
we live off next to nothing at the moment around 65% of our income gos on prepping stuff. or gardening stuff.

if I get all my projects completed , I might look into investing something somewhere but its unlikely as im pretty certain the collapse isn't too far away.

if it collapsed tonight like it temporarily did in Cyprus, how much would you actually have tied up electronically and lost forever.

people in Cyprus went to bed with one figure in their accounts and woke up with a different one , much lower, and the banks were all closed so they couldn't get at it.

I know your meaning in actually solids, not electronic cash, but its still something that's value can fluctuate rapidly.

like sardo_numpsa says, maybe keep a few gold earings or small coinage. for trading with. but as an investment , not really it would be madness if you really think its likely to crash soon.

if I buy a £1 tin of meat today and the system crashes tomorrow, that £1 tin just got very valuable in less than a few weeks.

what are you planning to trade that gold for after tshtf, food more than likely.

youl need the food more than the gold.
so the one with the food will tell you how much value your gold just lost.

they could demand a solid 22ct krugerand for just a tin of meat.
if your starving what choice you got.

its happened before recently in afrika, 400 dollars for a loaf of bread, and that was only a few years ago.

no matter how much gold you've got in whatever size denominations, the person with the food is gonna demand a hell of a lot. cos the gold isn't no use to them really, but the food is.

personally id rather you do a days work for me for the tin of meat, and you keep the gold.
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson