Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
survival:the ultimate form of resistance.
10 April 2013, 20:47,
RE: survival:the ultimate form of resistance.
Its a man thing Mary.... sorry
10 April 2013, 21:16, (This post was last modified: 10 April 2013, 21:22 by Highlander.)
(10 April 2013, 20:15)Mortblanc Wrote: As for the Scotts and the enclosures, the standard was not for anyone to "pay for passage". Most of those people sold themselves into indentured service to pay for passage.

They were auctioned off on the docks, like slaves, by the ship's captain to recoup his passage fee.

There were not enough poorhouses and workhouses to accomodate them and a whole new system was built around these mases of fodder for the industrial revolution.

Many were sold right out the workhouse doors as cheap labor for the colonies.

I would really like to know your source of knowledge about what you wrote here, because I have done family research for people in America and Australia with reference to their desendants from this part of Scotland and I have never heard or anything like this,... it is not how it happened here, so please can you pass on your references please

The only explaination that I can think you might have here is that you are talking about the Scottish Lowland cleances, these would be the only people who would be near a work house,... the Highland clearences were hundreds of miles from anything like that.... I know little about the Lowland clearences, but if you insist that you are right about the Highland clearences that I wrote about I would still like to see your evidence please
A major part of survival is invisibility.
10 April 2013, 23:23,
A fair point by all of the above but what about security.
There's always going to be people that want what you have and the only reason that they don't try and take it now is because you have the "law" backing you up.
It's great having a bug out location but there a very few places in the uk where your not going to be disturbed at some point and how many of us can honestly say that we can defend these areas without a trained squad to back them up.
11 April 2013, 09:20,
(10 April 2013, 23:23)Megatron Wrote: It's great having a bug out location but there a very few places in the uk where your not going to be disturbed at some point.

that may be so for the more industrialised areas of the UK, but its not true of ALL of the UK! i'm not giving away all my secrets but i will say amongst the more rural areas it is possible to disappear and not be found.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
29 April 2013, 03:03,
(10 April 2013, 23:23)Megatron Wrote: A fair point by all of the above but what about security.
There's always going to be people that want what you have and the only reason that they don't try and take it now is because you have the "law" backing you up.
It's great having a bug out location but there a very few places in the uk where your not going to be disturbed at some point and how many of us can honestly say that we can defend these areas without a trained squad to back them up.

Just a wee contribution that has a bearing on what you say: I read an article recently, I think it was from a link somewhere in the forum so it must have been very recently, (can't remember where it was or all the detail - strong meds leave my head a bit puggled sometimes!) but it was by an American policeman, a prepper, who was sounding out a long-time friend, one of the pillar of the community types, and when he raised the subject, the friend told him he was already a prepper and his plan was to note by observation those households that were prepping and when time came, take theirs.

He followed that by (much more carefully,) broaching the subject with a colleague. This upstanding officer or the law had much the same plan but intended to kill to carry it out! Trained squads may be few and far between so how do you prepare to protect your preparations?

29 April 2013, 08:57,
........by keeping quiet about what we have and where we keep it
A major part of survival is invisibility.
29 April 2013, 12:28,
(29 April 2013, 08:57)Highlander Wrote: ........by keeping quiet about what we have and where we keep it

On your own, I'd guess that's the only way but I suppose we're now changing from the original the topic. Should this now be elsewhere?

24 April 2020, 03:29,
(10 April 2013, 20:15)Mortblanc Wrote:
(10 April 2013, 18:06)Highlander Wrote:
(10 April 2013, 17:55)bigpaul Wrote:
(10 April 2013, 17:39)Highlander Wrote: Oh yes you can BP,.. if only we could talk to the people of the Highland clearances who were turfed out of their homes with nothing, those people survived, they survived because they had the knowledge, that's all you need really
i dont think they did survive HL, wasnt that when they had the potato famine and a lot died? and didnt a lot of the ones that survive emmigrate to America?

Not everyone fell into those categories, there was a village close to me that was ransacked and the people turfed out to live on the shore about ten miles away, they survived and built new homes from what they found.

Clearly not everyone died during the Potato famine some managed to survive,... but thats a good point and does drives it home, not to put all our hopes into one box

Not everyone was sent from Scotland to far flung places, many were simply turfed out and had to make do,... only the better laids paid for their tenants passage abroad,... many simply hoped they would die off away from their land, no crofter could afford passage to America

By

As with the Irish, there are more decendants of the cleared Scotts in North America, New Zealand and Austrailia than there are in Scotland.

Yes, lots of Scots in Dunedin and Easily in New Zealand.
We have made pretty good citizens..
25 May 2021, 16:20,
(11 April 2013, 09:20)bigpaul Wrote:
(10 April 2013, 23:23)Megatron Wrote: It's great having a bug out location but there a very few places in the uk where your not going to be disturbed at some point.

that may be so for the more industrialised areas of the UK, but its not true of ALL of the UK! i'm not giving away all my secrets but i will say amongst the more rural areas it is possible to disappear and not be found.

Would that not depend on who is looking for you, in what scenario, why they are looking and what equipment they have?

Joe Bloggs will likely walk right past you in times of plenty and not realise - all good.
If half of the cities flee to the countryside, it is going to be like the Huger Games out there.
Coppers too may walk past you in calm times, unless they have a mutt as scent is a bummer. Most half decent dogs can track in the wet and the uber nose hound (Bloodhounds) can track days old scent across water, up mountains and in caves. They are wonderful and total horrors, depending on the use and who has them.
All surveillance is now light and a lot of it can be fitted on drones. As bonkers as this may sound a hawk may be your best survival friend, especially for air superiority battles.
Once the military get involved, you may as well forget it. The only choices are 1, become invisible (zero heat, sonic or movement signatures) or 2, be legion and carry a big stick - neither is a guarantee, mind.
Best of luck to you, friend.
26 May 2021, 13:33,
half the cities are NOT going to flee to the countryside, scavenging is one thing but all out refugee is something else. in any case half of UK urban types know nothing about the countryside or nature and the other half is scared of the countryside. distances even in the UK are too great for walking any distance especially if their trying to survive at the same time.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.